Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

5 Nov, 2010
2010-11-5 6:10:11 AM UTC
Thanks for the update Wayne, and I hope you had a great trip to Boston. I know I cannot wait to see the Pauline Baynes book (and of course an update to the Bibliography).

My own (very hasty) thought on the letters is: if it is published in a book (or catalog or other paper form) then it gets tracked in the bibliography (book). If it is only on the web, then a website that tracks where to find these seems most appropriate. Basically, for ephemeral websites, i feel a website is the best (and most dynamic) way to keep track.

That, or having the Biblography list all known letters would also be quite useful, even if there is no printed form to see the letter other than the letter itself.

Or......
6 Nov, 2010
2010-11-6 3:10:08 AM UTC
My own (very hasty) thought on the letters is: if it is published in a book (or catalog or other paper form) then it gets tracked in the bibliography (book).

That certainly would be one way to do it, distinguishing absolutely by medium, the physical artifact from virtual text and image. Of course, this is part of the larger issue I have to address, which I hardly had to think about some twenty years ago: deciding what constitutes 'publication' for the purposes of a descriptive bibliography.

Wayne
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us