4 hours 41 minutes ago

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Tolkien and the Moberly–Jourdain incident
Not too shy to talk
Group:
Shirefolk
Hi all.

On the wikipedia page for the 'Moberly–Jourdain incident', at the bottum of the 'Aftermath' section it reads "The incident is said to have exerted an influence on J. R. R. Tolkien's views and work.".
In the bibliography it references 'Flieger, Verlyn (1997), A Question of Time: J. R. R. Tolkien's Road to Faërie, Kent State University Press .'

I have not read this referenced book yet and cant get my hands on a copy at the moment. Can somebody shed light on how this exact event influenced Tolkien.

Thank you in advance.
Loonka.

Posted on: 2010/11/26 7:09

Re: Tolkien and the Moberly–Jourdain incident
Home away from home
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
I have a copy; though I'm afraid it's still on my 'to read' list. However, taking it down from the shelf, I see that Flieger mentions that an account of the incident was published in 1911, and that Tolkien 'could have' been aware of it. Flieger uses the phrase 'could have' twice in a very short space of time, in a quite densely-packed passage.

I'm afraid I don't have the time at present to do the Professor's argument justice, but for now I'd say that the 'Moberly–Jourdain incident' had about as much 'influence' on Tolkien's works as did the Cottingley fairies, which is to say, none at all.

Though I could be wrong.

Posted on: 2010/11/28 3:23

Shirrif
From Scotland
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif
Garm, I too have that Fleiger Hb sitting on the 'to read' shelf; it's been there for quite a while now, along with Tolkien Studies 2009 (I haven't even bought TS 2010 yet!). Tolkien criticism just leaves me totally bored at present; sorry...

BH

Posted on: 2010/11/28 4:59

Shirrif
From Essex, England
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif
but for now I'd say that the 'Moberly–Jourdain incident' had about as much 'influence' on Tolkien's works as did the Cottingley fairies, which is to say, none at all

I bought this point up with Dimtri Fima at Oxenmoot this year, garm was there as well, and she completely agrees.

Posted on: 2010/11/28 8:48

Home away from home
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
*slaps forehead* - so that's where I got that from! Thanks, Trotter.

Posted on: 2010/11/28 15:18

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You can vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]