14 hours 19 minutes ago

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

1990 Unwin Hyman Deluxe LotR/Hobbit Question
Home away from home
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Greetings, Everyone. In one of my current Ebay auctions, I am selling a copy of the 1990 Unwin Hyman Deluxe Lord of the Rings. My copy is contained in the two piece box that is common throughout the earlier printings, as opposed to standard issue slipcase that is consistent with the 1990 (11th) printing. Another Ebay member (quite possibly a member of this forum?) has inquired about this discrepancy. I have owned the book for several years, but am not the original owner, so I cannot say for sure that it was issued this way. The box, however, does match in condition and does not seem out of place, so I have always assumed it was original.

The bibliography over at Tolkienbooks.net only states that this edition was issued in a slipcase, but that is the only other source I have checked. My best guess has always been that Unwin had a few remaining boxes from the 10th impression and used those up on a portion of the 11th, as opposed to scrapping them. Can anyone confirm this notion? Has anyone else ever seen this book issued in a box? Has anyone seen the corresponding year's Deluxe Hobbit in a box?

My auctions are almost finished at this point, so the answer to this question will likely have little bearing there, but I thought it was an interesting question nonetheless and worth posing to the forum.

Regards,

Steve

Posted on: 2010/12/5 4:38

Re: 1990 Unwin Hyman Deluxe LotR/Hobbit Question
Home away from home
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Hi. My 1990 11th imp. Unwin Hyman LotR is in a slipcase. So is my 1990 Unwin Hyman TH.

My 1969 A&U LotR is in a slipcase. My 1976 TH, and 1980 Poems and Stories, are both in boxes.

Posted on: 2010/12/5 8:38

Home away from home
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
My best guess has always been that Unwin had a few remaining boxes from the 10th impression and used those up on a portion of the 11th, as opposed to scrapping them. Can anyone confirm this notion? Has anyone else ever seen this book issued in a box? Has anyone seen the corresponding year's Deluxe Hobbit in a box?

Our copies of the 1990 deluxe Unwin Hyman Lord of the Rings and Hobbit are in slipcases. We have never seen that LR in a box. It could well be that Unwin Hyman used excess boxes rather than slipcases for some copies. Or (probably less likely as more complex) it could be that the book in question came from a dealer who had it without the slipcase, or with a damaged slipcase, and put it in a stray deluxe box instead. Allen & Unwin's LR box cover label didn't include their imprint, so Unwin Hyman could have taken it up without change.

Wayne & Christina

Posted on: 2010/12/5 20:02

Home away from home
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Thanks, Wayne and Christina, for the nice reply. It is possible that a previous owner replaced a damaged slipcase with a good box. I suppose the main reason I shy away from this theory, though, is because the tendency would certainly be for the box to wear before the book, thus leaving more box-less books than book-less boxes. However, that doesn't account for spilling a cup of coffee on a book while reading it!

I guess both theories are plausible, but we may never truly know what happened. I had hoped that it might have been documented somewhere that Unwin Hyman had some left over boxes from a previous A&U print run. Anyway, thanks for the input (you too Garm!).

Posted on: 2010/12/5 21:08

Shirrif
From Scotland
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif
An eBay seller (themeadowlady) recenly sold a copy of Poems & Stories (1980), in a slipcase. She also had (I don't recall exactly; P&S stood in the memory more) either H or LotRs too, which was also in an slipcase or box; whatever, it was not usual for the impression. I asked about P&S, and was told that her father worked for GA&U and this was how it was given. It is a bit of a familiar reply, but seemed genuine enough. Makes me think some of these impressions, of all these deluxes, might genuinely have been distributed in both slipcases & boxes.

BH

Posted on: 2010/12/7 13:47

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You can vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.