Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

Signed 1968 UK Paperback LOTR

2 Jan, 2011
2011-1-2 10:06:24 AM UTC

3 October 1968 Martin Blackman, Allen & Unwin home trade manager, brings to the Hotel Miramar at about 11.00 a.m. one hundred copies of the paperback Lord of the Rings for Tolkien to sign.

The J.R.R. Tolkien Companion and Guide - Chronology (page 733) by Christina Scull & Wayne G. Hammond

I was always under the impression that Tolkien did not do any book signings like modern authors but thanks to Wayne & Christina I now know that he did at least one.

Does anyone know anymore about these books and the use that they were put to by GA&U? I have heard that they were given to staff.
2 Jan, 2011
2011-1-2 10:30:46 AM UTC
We have seen many examples of these paperbacks... they all are very similar. These signed books all went to personal of Allen & Unwin and very close relatives. So I don't see it as some kind of booksigning event, more as a big thank you to the company that published his books (and had sooo much patience with him).
2 Jan, 2011
2011-1-2 5:02:22 PM UTC
I seem to remember seeing a letter sold with one of these signed books a few years ago. It was from Allen & Unwin to a bookseller and said something along of the lines of: If you order a certain number of copies you will get a signed one for free.
I will try to dig it out.
3 Jan, 2011
2011-1-3 2:46:33 AM UTC
The hundred signed paperbacks did not all go to Allen & Unwin personnel or their families. See Chronology, p. 729, for 18 July 1968: 'The paperback will be published in October, and the Allen & Unwin sales department have suggested that, to build up substantial initial sales, booksellers who pre-order one hundred or more copies should get an extra free copy signed by Tolkien.' Otherwise, Tolkien did occasionally sign copies for Allen & Unwin staff. In April 1972, Tolkien asked to meet the publisher's staff at Museum Street in London and at their warehouses/sales offices in Hemel Hempstead to thank them for having sent a three-foot-high card for his 80th birthday (and let us not forget that tomorrow, or today already in some places, the 3rd, is his 119th). He went to London on 27 June, and to Hemel Hempstead on 14 July. During the latter visit, he signed copies of his books for staff members (Chronology, p. 765). Afterward, he autographed an interoffice memo for the driver who returned him to Oxford (this turned up on eBay last March).

Wayne & Christina
3 Jan, 2011 (edited)
2011-1-3 7:01:48 AM UTC
Thanks for all the replies, I still think that signing 100 books is 'a booksigning event' especially as it was for publicity purposes and is very similar to how publishers today market books.

Afterward, he autographed an interoffice memo for the driver who returned him to Oxford (this turned up on eBay last March)

Laurel bought this item, if I remember correctly.
3 Jan, 2011
2011-1-3 8:06:12 AM UTC
O... yes Findegil! Is indeed correct!! Thanks for that... was mixing up the two events. Guess posting in a hurry is never a good thing. Thanks for clearing that up!
22 Jun, 2011
2011-6-22 2:26:27 PM UTC
Deagol

Did you ever find that letter by chance ? :

'I seem to remember seeing a letter sold with one of these signed books a few years ago. It was from Allen & Unwin to a bookseller and said something along of the lines of: If you order a certain number of copies you will get a signed one for free.
I will try to dig it out. '

Thanks
22 Jun, 2011 (edited)
2011-6-22 5:13:46 PM UTC
I assume you mean this letter.

I wonder if it really had gone astray or that they wanted another signed copy?

The letter does not state a number that were sent out, does anyone know how many copies were actually provided to booksellers? i.e. was it 100 as in my original post?

10_4e0222c1dbc45.jpg 845X1019 px
23 Jun, 2011
2011-6-23 6:01:04 AM UTC
mmmmmmm
a cunning plan indeed
I also understand signed copies went to sellers who placed the top 10 largest pre publication orders - anyone ever heard of this?
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us