(1) 2 3 »

Michael Tolkien Books [Beowulf]
Shirrif
From Scotland
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif
I just bought a few MHRT books off eBay; I'm sure others saw the listing. Nothing unusual. Just wondered if others had seen the little symbol (top right corner) on MHRT bookplate(s) before? And, the meaning: from CT? (--as the seller claimed.)

Additionally, other than the bookplates, I'm not familiar with Michael Tolkien's handwriting. There are many notes throughout (not uncommon with this type of book), and several loose jottings. I've posted one of these. I have no reason to think these are Michael's, but just thought I'd seek opinions. He obviously saw fit to keep them with the book in any case.

BH

Attach file:

jpg  [MHRT] Beowulf.jpg (986.48 KB)
125_4d30be0e66ccf.jpg 1387X2717 px

jpg  [MHRT] Beowulf Note.jpg (659.15 KB)
125_4d30be2c4ed71.jpg 1700X2041 px

Posted on: 2011/1/14 14:22

Edited by Khamul on 2011/1/16 9:16:38

Re: Michael Tolkien Books
Home away from home
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Fascinating - and, no! I didn't see the listing... (goshdarn it). What other books did you buy, may I ask?

As for the bookplate - I guess the monogram could read 'C.J.R.T. ' - though I've never seen one like it.

I have a couple of examples of Michael Hilary's handwriting. They don't look like the jottings you've shown here. Whose are they? I don't know. possibly Christopher's? Or possibly the jottings of Michael George Tolkien, JRRT's grandson? As I say; fascinating stuff!

Posted on: 2011/1/15 15:45

Shirrif
From Scotland
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif
There are three or four other loose sheets, one full A4 running to both sides. I only posted this jotting because (although obviously not) it looks vaguely Tolkien-esque in style. However, it clearly isn't Michael's handwriting; & the notes are not in the copy marked as (possibly) from Christopher. Although the other copy is also a Michael bookplate copy. Garm, the books are just the two in the eBay listing...

BH

Posted on: 2011/1/15 16:30

Home away from home
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Uh-huh. Thing is, I haven't seen the ebay listing, and as I can't remember my password, I can't find 'completed items'.

Posted on: 2011/1/15 16:36

Shirrif
From Scotland
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif
Just follow my link garm, in the original post (the word "eBay" is the link)...

Posted on: 2011/1/15 16:40

(1) 2 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You can vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]