Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

2 Apr, 2017
2017-4-2 3:05:44 AM UTC

Karl wrote:
Hmm...looks like just another reprint of the 3-hardback box currently listed as "out of stock" on tolkien.co.uk. Description is identical. Price sure increased though...

Not sure, the ISBN appears to be different, and the current boxed set is described as "The Complete History of Middle-Earth". I'd be really surprised if there was enough demand for another edition, but who knows.
2 Apr, 2017 (edited)
2017-4-2 8:53:48 AM UTC
Says "special", and says "Deluxe Boxed Set edition edition (5 Oct. 2017)"; so must be a special deluxe if HC are saying so...

BH
2 Apr, 2017
2017-4-2 8:58:30 AM UTC
Having said that, the normal boxset is already £180; I didn't realise it was that expensive, even if nobody buys it at full RRP.

http://www.tolkien.co.uk/product/9780 ... e+History+of+Middle-earth

Amazon thinks the new one is 400 pages.

BH
2 Apr, 2017
2017-4-2 12:54:13 PM UTC
Considering that the RRP of the deluxe edition of LotR is currently £100 and that each of the three volumes of HoME is comparable in "size", I think that it might be possible that this boxed set is going to be offered in the same format. That would fit more the price of £250.
Not that it would be worth it anyway, at least imho.
2 Apr, 2017 (edited)
2017-4-2 1:13:29 PM UTC
Stu has asked HarperCollins about this as a new edition, let us see what they reply with?
2 Apr, 2017
2017-4-2 11:26:13 PM UTC
The thought of this set being issued in the ongoing Deluxe format did cross my mind. Each of the 10 releases so far have been individually slipcased and a unique color (some of the color choices have baffled me and the upcoming B&L looks to be quite similar to The Hobbit). I hope that if these volumes constitute the 12th, 13th, and 14th books in the series, they will follow suit. They could be boxed like the sets gathering the first 4 and 5 books of the series.
3 Apr, 2017
2017-4-3 3:45:15 AM UTC

Karl wrote:
The thought of this set being issued in the ongoing Deluxe format did cross my mind. Each of the 10 releases so far have been individually slipcased and a unique color (some of the color choices have baffled me and the upcoming B&L looks to be quite similar to The Hobbit). I hope that if these volumes constitute the 12th, 13th, and 14th books in the series, they will follow suit. They could be boxed like the sets gathering the first 4 and 5 books of the series.

Indeed the thought had crossed my mind over the years too. It would be very nice to have these in the new deluxe format.
8 Apr, 2017
2017-4-8 1:24:47 AM UTC
So any update from HC about what the new HOME set might be?

On a related note, I liked the cut out slipcases of the LOTR and TH deluxe editions, and the three colour foil stamping. They looked very premium. Lately, except for Tales From the Perilous Realm, the rest of the slipcases have seemed pretty lazy to me.

Beren and Luthien looks like it is designed by Alan Lee. It looks nice, but I do wish they used different colours, especially since there seem to be several motifs incorporated in the design (lady, nightingale, star).
8 Apr, 2017
2017-4-8 2:12:17 AM UTC

Earl wrote:
So any update from HC about what the new HOME set might be?

On a related note, I liked the cut out slipcases of the LOTR and TH deluxe editions, and the three colour foil stamping. They looked very premium. Lately, except for Tales From the Perilous Realm, the rest of the slipcases have seemed pretty lazy to me.

Beren and Luthien looks like it is designed by Alan Lee. It looks nice, but I do wish they used different colours, especially since there seem to be several motifs incorporated in the design (lady, nightingale, star).

Sorry, heard nothing back. Agree with your points regard the cutouts and coloured foil.
8 Apr, 2017
2017-4-8 3:03:42 AM UTC
Stu, I googled the ISBN and found this: http://www.harpercollins.com.au/97800 ... -deluxe-boxed-set-edition

An excerpt of the description:
This very special collector's edition brings together all twelve books into three hardback volumes – over 5,000 pages of fascinating Tolkien material – and places them in one matching box.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us