Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

12 May, 2013 (edited)
2013-5-12 12:57:19 AM UTC
Hi Sara. Many thanks for your post and for your clarifications. I'm happy to learn that my suggestion about the newspaper article being a "construction" (based on the journalist's own fantasies) was correct.

Perhaps I should spare you some of the rash comments that people have posted, but the posts below were published in "open" forum. I urged people not to jump to any conclusions, but maybe you also want to offer a clarification yourself (otherwise I can post a link to your message at this website):

http://newboards.theonering.net/forum ... _collapsed;guest=85275505

One of the reason why I've asked critical posters not to base their opinion of your work on the newspaper article, is that I myself experienced something similar about twenty years ago. A couple of close friends in my hometown suddenly become national news in Sweden and were harassed by tabloid newspaper journalists. When I read some of the articles, it was obvious to an "insider" like me that the texts consisted of 5% fact and 95% pure speculation.

Feel free to contact me at morgan[at]tolkienindex[dot]net.

/Morgan Thomsen
12 May, 2013
2013-5-12 10:20:37 AM UTC
Thanks for posting that clarification aranel_parmadil!

A great pity that substandard journalism has undermined something I put my heart and soul into.
It is indeed a pity. It's perhaps even more of a pity, as Morgan has pointed out, that people don't err on the side of caution & assume that the article (& article author) may be in error & not yourself; particularly when there is so much evidence of this kind of thing online already.

I had no idea I was getting such stick online for this article.
Personally, I wouldn't even bother going to read half of it. The internet is full of garbage & the last thing you should waste your time doing is corrected & challenging ill-informed opinion & views --you'll be at it forever.

BH
12 May, 2013
2013-5-12 5:15:33 PM UTC
Hi Sara, thanks for dropping by, and definitely welcome!

The opinions I have seen online on this topic, have all been focused on the two 'journalists' in question, and not on you. Being in the USA it is not likely that I will run across your thesis in either of those libraries, but I am hoping that you are able to turn it into book form at some point so that I can purchase a copy.

Regards,
13 May, 2013
2013-5-13 5:25:54 AM UTC

aranel_parmadil wrote:
I know my Tolkien quotes. Goodness only knows where the journalist got it from.

Sara

Sara, as some of this misinformation has come from your school's web site, the incorrect quote, incorrect spelling of Middle-earth and 'appalling' handwriting, you might want to ask them to remove or update the page.

http://rydalpenrhos.com/news/13/04/lifelong_passion_for_tolkien

As I think we have already stated it is a shame that these things seem to go out of control on the internet.
13 May, 2013
2013-5-13 4:41:51 PM UTC
Hi Trotter. Yes, my school simply took the published article and put most of that on the website. I have asked them to amend it, but things obviously move slowly in our IT department. I will be reminding them!
19 May, 2013
2013-5-19 2:32:38 PM UTC
School website article has now been suitably amended.
19 May, 2013
2013-5-19 4:30:22 PM UTC
That's great news - well done!

- wellinghall
1 Jun, 2013
2013-6-1 5:44:44 AM UTC
This is the cover of the new illustrated Hobbit with illustrations by Jemima Catlin, which I believe is scheduled to come out in September.

1 Jun, 2013 (edited)
2013-6-1 6:54:34 AM UTC

Trotter wrote:
This is the cover of the new illustrated Hobbit with illustrations by Jemima Catlin, which I believe is scheduled to come out in September.

Doesn't appeal at all, to be honest. Be interesting to see if the interior illustrations are more engaging.
2 Jun, 2013
2013-6-2 4:55:06 AM UTC
I've got to agree with Stu on this. Personally, I don't find it appealing. However, this design really looks like a conscious push by the publishers to draw young children to the book on the store shelves. It reminds me of many of the other modern children's covers out there. The classic Tolkien drawn Hobbit cover might not be "keeping up with the times" in the children's section at Barnes and Noble anymore. My kids are only 3 (obviously not the target audience), but I guarantee they would grab this one off the shelf before the classic cover.

Looks like a touch of Pauline Baynes influence too, now that I think of it. - Just a touch.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us