Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

4 Jul, 2013
2013-7-4 7:09:19 PM UTC
Book Depository has the Deluxe for £37.49, which is pretty cheap compared to Amazon. I've not pre-ordered from BD that much --how do they work it compared to Amazon? i.e. they take your money at order time, not book delivery --so what happens if you want to cancel an order? If the price decreases do they track this like Amazon too?

BH
4 Jul, 2013
2013-7-4 8:36:52 PM UTC
Use them all the time. Delivery takes an extra couple of days. Amazon now own the Book Depository (but supposedly it still runs mostly independently - unlikely....)

http://www.smh.com.au/business/amazon ... itory-20110705-1h00b.html

Yes - they take payment at order time rather than when shipped.

If for any reason, publication gets cancelled etc, a refund is automatically credited to whatever payment method you used (i.e. Paypal, CC).

If you want to cancel an order - you need to email them.

If price decreases, no refund. You pay at the time of checkout.

However, over the years, I have managed to take advantage of a few mis-prices on pre-orders.

They used to have very regular 10% discount codes (which can also be used on pre-orders) but these have dried almost completely up since the Amazon takeover.

Also check prices on the .com and .co.uk sites as there is often significant price differences between sites (and you can order from either)

Packaging not brilliant most of the time. Bit of a lottery. But thankfully have had only two damaged books in approx 150 orders (both times they sent replacement without me having to return damaged books).
5 Jul, 2013 (edited)
2013-7-5 12:26:54 PM UTC

Khamûl wrote:
See a few posts back Morgan --they're selling them exclusively through independent bookstores for the first few months. This edition will be available online & through Amazon, etc, (i.e. general release) in September, as you say.

I was confused too!

BH

EDIT: And just to add --Halcyon Books (
This site uses affiliate links for which we may be compensated
Seller: halcyonbooksuk
(69314)
Ended Jul 4, 2013
This item ended more than 90 days ago
) have copies for sale for £6.94 (not sure how they're managing any kind of mark up at this price) & ship to Sweden for £3.50. £10.44 all in for you!

Book Depository also have the Pocket Roverandom in stock. They shipped mine today.

Edit: Only took 5 days to come to Australia and was actually in a bubble-wrap envelope!
6 Jul, 2013 (edited)
2013-7-6 9:59:03 AM UTC
Found this today, an article from the Bookseller on Tolkien releases from HarperCollins for this year, out of interest does Houghton Mifflin Harcourt do press releases on what they may be bringing out in the way of Tolkien items?

http://www.thebookseller.com/news/new ... trated-hobbit-harper.html

"HarperCollins is publishing a brand new illustrated children’s edition of J R R Tolkien’s The Hobbit this autumn.

The new edition, illustrated by newcomer Jemima Catlin and published on 12th September, will be the first illustrated edition in 18 years—the last being Alan Lee’s award-winning edition in 1995.

The illustrated version is one of 10 new Hobbit tie-in titles HarperCollins is publishing this year for the UK cinema release of “The Desolation of Smaug” this December.

Estates publisher David Brawn said HarperCollins has “upped its game” with the Hobbit books this year now that the film franchise was well established, adding that there was a gap in the market for a classic children’s illustrated edition of the book. “Part of the responsibility of the publisher is to make sure that we’re not just promoting the film. We’re promoting the book and the classic nature of it,” he said.

“I really wanted to publish an edition of The Hobbit that was a bit like Winnie the Pooh—a lot of the classic children’s books have little pictures in the text that give you clues as to what’s going on in the story. I was really keen to do something for the classic treasury market which would also appeal to children, for whom the films are often too scary or too bombastic.”

As well as a £20 hardback edition, a £49.99 deluxe edition with a slipcase and foil jacket will be available. The book has been three years in the making; Brawn said he didn’t want to use a familiar artist in the style of Quentin Blake, but instead wanted to carve a career for an up-and-coming illustrator and find “the new Pauline Baines [sic] [who illustrated C S Lewis’ Narnia books] in her 20s”.

Aside from this edition, HarperCollins is publishing The Desolation of Smaug Annual 2014 (29th August, £7.99), the Visual Companion (7th November, £12.99), the Official Movie Guide (7th November, £19.99), the Movie Storybook (7th November, £6.99), Chronicles: Art and Design (12th December, £25), a paperback film tie-in edition of The Hobbit (7th November, £7.99), a pocket hardback edition (7th November, £9.99) and a new Sticker Activity Book (7th November, £4.99), which will replace last year’s children’s feature book The World of Hobbits. Also publishing on 26th September is a £8.99 pocket hardback edition of Roverandom, the first book Tolkien wrote for his children in 1925, as well as a 2014 calendar with Catlin’s illustrations.

Brawn said the titles have more text, more pictures and more storylines than last year’s portfolio of books, and he hoped this year’s selection would enhance the collectable aspect for the whole brand, which has enjoyed “spectacular growth” in the last 12 months. In the last six months, 650,000 print copies and a further 100,000 digital copies of The Hobbit sold in the UK.
"

It would have been nice to mention that Pauline Baines[sic] Baynes, also illustrated Tolkien's books (I think David was misquoted), but I am very happy with David's sentiments on The Hobbit "Part of the responsibility of the publisher is to make sure that we’re not just promoting the film. We’re promoting the book and the classic nature of it."

Ignoring obvious film tie-in editions, then the UK Hobbit books that you may be interested in are

12th September 2013 £20 Illustrated Hobbit hardback edition
12th September 2013 £49.99 Illustrated Hobbit deluxe edition with a slipcase and foil jacket
26th September 2013 £8.99 Pocket Hardback Edition
7th November 2013 £7.99 Paperback film tie-in edition of The Hobbit
6 Jul, 2013
2013-7-6 11:47:47 AM UTC
All we needed was another Pocket Hardback Edition, because we haven't had one of those... Sigh.
6 Jul, 2013
2013-7-6 12:53:22 PM UTC
Yeh, what pocket H are we talking about? Surely this is referring to the one (2011) we already have?; unless it's referring to the facsimile edition. It would seem unlikely we're getting another one.

BH
6 Jul, 2013
2013-7-6 11:28:44 PM UTC

Khamûl wrote:
Yeh, what pocket H are we talking about? Surely this is referring to the one (2011) we already have?; unless it's referring to the facsimile edition. It would seem unlikely we're getting another one.

BH

Unless it is a pocket format version of the new illustrated version?
7 Jul, 2013
2013-7-7 7:04:45 AM UTC
I suspect it is the same Pocket book as last year, but with a film cover on it. If so I doubt it will be on Stu's Xmas list.
7 Jul, 2013
2013-7-7 7:14:47 AM UTC

Trotter wrote:
I suspect it is the same Pocket book as last year, but with a film cover on it. If so I doubt it will be on Stu's Xmas list.

Bah!!! Humbug!!! etc.
8 Jul, 2013
2013-7-8 12:09:15 AM UTC

Trotter wrote:

Actually, it would be kind of cool if it was a mini version of the grey 'Special Collectors Edition' cover. It won't be, but as film tie in covers go, that wouldn't be offensive.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us