Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

23 Jul, 2013
2013-7-23 9:59:16 AM UTC
A bit of a shame that HC first releases The Hobbit separately, and then includes it in this set! I will end up with three very similar editions of the same book -- don't they take pity on us collectors?

Looking at Trotter's picture of the set: it does look like this edition will be a bit different, though (or is it just the image?) -- more ... square?
23 Jul, 2013 (edited)
2013-7-23 10:18:33 AM UTC

Morgan wrote:
A bit of a shame that HC first releases The Hobbit separately, and then includes it in this set! I will end up with three very similar editions of the same book -- don't they take pity on us collectors?

Looking at Trotter's picture of the set: it does look like this edition will be a bit different, though (or is it just the image?) -- more ... square?

HC pretty much always does this, I expect that they will also do a Silmarillion in the same style and issue another box-set with that as well, if they do then they should call it The Tolkien Library (I might suggest this to them) Edit: I have suggested it, lets see if anything happens

This is the last published copy of The Tolkien Library (1978)

http://www.tolkienbooks.net/php/details.php?reference=87160

The pictures are computer generated, I don't think they actually have any copies of the LOTR hardback's yet or a real box-set.

They will be more like the Hobbit when issued, curved spines, not square.
28 Jul, 2013
2013-7-28 10:31:53 PM UTC
A bit of shameless self-promotion:

The Deutsche Tolkien Gesellschaft recently published the bilingual (German/English) journal Hither Shore 9. In addition to a number of papers from the Tolkien Seminar 2012 and reviews, the journal includes the article "Two Swedish Interviews with J.R.R. Tolkien", edited with an introduction and footnotes by Shaun Gunner and me. The interviews were conducted in 1961 by Lars Gustafsson and the late Jan Broberg, and John-Henri Holmberg has kindly contributed with a translation into English. Can't wait to receive my contributor's copy!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tolkiens-Infl ... collsguid-21&linkCode=osi
30 Jul, 2013
2013-7-30 9:14:31 PM UTC
Hi Morgan, thanks for the news! Can you tell me/us a little more of the history of the interviews? Is this the first appearance of them translated into English? Where else (if anywhere) have they been published?
31 Jul, 2013 (edited)
2013-7-31 6:12:33 PM UTC
1) "Can you tell me/us a little more of the history of the interviews?"

For a full answer I'd recommend to consult the introduction to the interviews in Hither Shore 9. But to make a long story short: both interviews were conducted in 1961 (independently of each other), in-person with J.R.R. Tolkien.

2) "Is this the first appearance of them translated into English?"

The Broberg interview has never appeared in English before.* The Gustafsson interview "leaked", so to speak, since Gustafsson (without me knowing) posted an early draft of the English translation (without the editors' footnotes) on his blog -- I had sent the draft to him for evaluation. At this stage, the interviews were planned for publication in Tolkien Studies, and Flieger, Anderson and Drout had accepted the submission. Unfortunately, the "publication" at Gustafsson's blog made a publication in Tolkien Studies impossible: it's their policy not to publish material that has been published elsewhere, electronically or in print. Fortunately, the editor of Hither Shore was instead willing to publish the material.

3) "Where else (if anywhere) have they been published?"

Broberg's interview has appeared in two versions: in a Swedish newspaper in 1961 and as a chapter in his 1985 book I fantasins världar. In the footnotes in Hither Shore, we present the differences between the two versions. Gustafsson's interview has only been published in a Swedish newspaper in 1961.

If anyone has further questions, I'd be happy to provide more answers.

*A snippet from the Broberg interview has appeared in Christina Scull and Wayne G. Hammond's Addenda and Corrigenda to The J.R.R. Tolkien Companion and Guide (2006) Vol. 2: Reader’s Guide (search for "Broberg", or cf. pp. 973–6, entry for Spiders).
31 Jul, 2013
2013-7-31 6:28:24 PM UTC
Thanks for that, I have bought a copy
31 Jul, 2013
2013-7-31 6:44:42 PM UTC
If this was Facebook, I would have "liked" your post, Trotter!
31 Jul, 2013
2013-7-31 6:52:21 PM UTC

Morgan wrote:
If this was Facebook, I would have "liked" your post, Trotter!

I am happy to purchase any other unpublished interviews with The Professor that you may have (within reason)
31 Jul, 2013
2013-7-31 7:04:14 PM UTC
The closest thing would be a short article I co-edited with Daniel Helen, which recently was published in Mallorn 54: "A Recollection of Tolkien: Canon Gerard Hanlon". But I suspect you already have a copy of this journal, Trotter!

If you're a completist (including foreign books), I would be happy to help you (or anyone else among the regulars) to acquire a copy of the 1985 book by Broberg. (I sent a copy to Wayne and Christina back in 2010.) Just send me an email or a PM.
31 Jul, 2013
2013-7-31 7:51:11 PM UTC
"The Gustafsson intervew "leaked", so to speak, since Gustafsson (without me knowing) posted an early draft of the English translation (without the editors' footnotes) on his blog -- I had sent the draft to him for evaluation. At this stage, the interviews were planned for publication in Tolkien Studies, and Flieger, Anderson and Drout had accepted the submission. Unfortunately, the "publication" at Gustafsson's blog made a publication in Tolkien Studies impossible: it's their policy not to publish material that has been published elsewhere, electronically or in print."

That is rather unfortunate, but on the upside, at least the interview is more affordable for the public. $25 for Hither Shore rather than the $60 for Tolkien Studies.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us