Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

16 Aug, 2013
2013-8-16 8:02:30 PM UTC
To answer your first question: for Christmas perhaps?

BH
16 Aug, 2013
2013-8-16 8:45:58 PM UTC
I don't think most of the regulars here are the target market for movie tie-in editions...

Is a nice painting on the cover if you are a movie fan.
17 Aug, 2013
2013-8-17 12:35:49 AM UTC
Yep, won't be getting that one!
17 Aug, 2013 (edited)
2013-8-17 9:35:09 AM UTC

Stu wrote:

Trotter wrote:
I suspect it is the same Pocket book as last year, but with a film cover on it. If so I doubt it will be on Stu's Xmas list.

Bah!!! Humbug!!! etc.

Stu wrote:

I was right

Urulöké wrote:

I don't think most of the regulars here are the target market for movie tie-in editions... Is a nice painting on the cover if you are a movie fan.

Ok, but the bookcover for me is nowhere near as good as J.R.R. Tolkien's cover, so why not stick with one of the acknowledged best Dust jackets ever made?
18 Aug, 2013
2013-8-18 2:17:29 AM UTC

Trotter wrote:

Stu wrote:

Trotter wrote:
I suspect it is the same Pocket book as last year, but with a film cover on it. If so I doubt it will be on Stu's Xmas list.

Bah!!! Humbug!!! etc.

Stu wrote:

I was right

Urulöké wrote:

I don't think most of the regulars here are the target market for movie tie-in editions... Is a nice painting on the cover if you are a movie fan.

Ok, but the bookcover for me is nowhere near as good as J.R.R. Tolkien's cover, so why not stick with one of the acknowledged best Dust jackets ever made?

I'm definitely predictable!

I think the main issue I have with the branding of the movie stuff is that I really don't like the movie logo at all. The Lord of The Rings branding wasn't quite as nasty, but the Hobbit title looks horrible. And hell will freeze over before I buy a book that has "Now a major motion picture" on the cover!
18 Aug, 2013
2013-8-18 2:46:45 AM UTC
Trotter wrote: Ok, but the bookcover for me is nowhere near as good as J.R.R. Tolkien's cover, so why not stick with one of the acknowledged best Dust jackets ever made?

So, not planning to buy the Jemima Caitlin book either? I also think Tolkien's dust jacket and interior illustrations are perfect for the book, and not to be replaced by anyone else, but I also really do enjoy seeing other takes on the dust-jackets and interior artwork too. That's why I own more than one copy of the book. I don't see these other editions as replacing Tolkien's artwork, but coming out in parallel as tributes.

Also, this is pretty basic marketing - just like your favorite shampoo or laundry detergent comes out with new packaging every year or three, these will catch people's eyes and "refresh the brand" if you will. Otherwise the young'uns will see the classic Hobbit book cover and not even think to pick it up, thinking that's the old book they saw at Grandma's and clearly not worth reading.

PS - Stu, that monster quote Inception you just posted reminds me that I have to update the style for blockquotes. That was pretty hard on the eye, my apologies to all.
25 Aug, 2013
2013-8-25 11:17:39 PM UTC
Anyone noticed that the HC website is showing a hardback edition of Children of Hurin as having been published on 1 August this year? As far as I can see, this looks exactly the same as the original 2007 edition.

Has anyone bought it, and is it genuinely a new (presumably 2nd) edition? If so, are there any noticeable changes?
2 Sep, 2013
2013-9-2 6:16:07 PM UTC
It looks like some booksellers are breaking the embargo on Jemima's illustrated Hobbit, the publishers ask them to respect the embargo until the 12th September 2013, but they can not really stop them selling early.

Don't bother with ebay sellers like this, I know that Jemima has signed at least 1,000 copies and everyone can pick up a signed copy, at a reasonable price, if you want one.

I expect signed copies to be about £20 from tolkien.co.uk.

eBay Item #221276766385
2 Sep, 2013
2013-9-2 6:20:03 PM UTC

Turambar wrote:
Anyone noticed that the HC website is showing a hardback edition of Children of Hurin as having been published on 1 August this year? As far as I can see, this looks exactly the same as the original 2007 edition.

Has anyone bought it, and is it genuinely a new (presumably 2nd) edition? If so, are there any noticeable changes?

Can you give a link, I have not noticed this?
2 Sep, 2013
2013-9-2 8:21:01 PM UTC
The new Deluxe Unfinished Tales is no longer listed on tolkien.co.uk (hasn't been for a week at least). Any thoughts on whether or not this means anything?
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us