Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

19 Sep, 2013
2013-9-19 6:46:30 PM UTC
An updated what?

BH
19 Sep, 2013
2013-9-19 9:16:55 PM UTC

Khamûl wrote:
The manner in which HarperCollins have chosen to distribute these signed standard editions is bizarre, as always. Clearly some booksellers have signed copies; MF (as discussed) has quite a few signed copies. (Don't recall quite how many he stated he had; if he stated). Every Waterstones in the country has signed copies on their shelves too. Caitlin is attending Oxonmoot, where she'll sign copies. Yet the official HarperCollins website claims they only have a hundred signed copies ("Exclusive Offer: The first 100 copies sold will be signed by the illustrator") --& that their offer is exclusive! In what possible way is this exclusive? It would be good if they were, but they ain't. Signed copies will be ten-a-penny & freely available to whoever wants one. I don't really see the point in this claim.

Anyways... was in the town today & walked into, the aforementioned, old Waterstones. Couple of signed ones there, so bought another one! Anyone want a unsigned copy?

BH

Yeah, but if you look at what else they have marked as 'Exclusive', they have stuff like the HoME slipcased set, which was available all over the place (I got mine from BD) and there a couple of really silly ones in there. I think they still have a bit of work getting the values correct in the database.

I love the way they hide some of the on-screen values using JavaScript, so various internal flags show up until the script hides them when the script runs.
19 Sep, 2013
2013-9-19 9:22:23 PM UTC

wellinghall wrote:
I am reminded of a time when unsigned Terry Pratchett books were jokingly rumoured to be rarer than signed ones. One notable fan went to a con with a couple of unsigned books in his bag, which someone snuck out, got pTerry to sign, and then snuck back in ...

- wellinghall

And Jemimia Catlin is only 26, so she most likely has a lot of years ahead of her to sign those copies that she hasn't signed already!
19 Sep, 2013
2013-9-19 9:42:35 PM UTC

Urulöké wrote:
I think there is some minimal positive value in leaving the sticker on - if for no other reason, in the unlikely event that someone starts forging her signature, this would be a good indicator of a real signed copy. More seriously, though, it is a valid "state" from the publisher, so I am sure that Findegil will mention it in the updated bibliography.

That's what I figured. It is a valid state and most people will pull the stickers off, so it may end up being the only rare state of the book. Not that it really matters, beyond feeling smug about leaving it on in 30 years time.
19 Sep, 2013
2013-9-19 10:16:30 PM UTC
So are all these signed copies the standard edition? No signed deluxe copies?
19 Sep, 2013
2013-9-19 10:27:32 PM UTC
The publisher provided copies do appear to all be standard edition only (though I have not asked HC to confirm this yet).

Not mentioning the deluxe copies she will sign this weekend and moving forward...
19 Sep, 2013
2013-9-19 10:57:25 PM UTC
I've called dibs on one of each
22 Sep, 2013
2013-9-22 9:00:38 AM UTC

Urulöké wrote:
The publisher provided copies do appear to all be standard edition only (though I have not asked HC to confirm this yet).

Not mentioning the deluxe copies she will sign this weekend and moving forward...

The 100 'exclusive' copies are all Trade copies, but Jemima has signed some Deluxe copies as well, which may appear at a later date.
25 Sep, 2013
2013-9-25 5:57:36 PM UTC
I picked up my signed Deluxe at the weekend

- wellinghall
25 Sep, 2013
2013-9-25 9:18:25 PM UTC
And helped me acquiring a copy in addition (with a certain Ms Wellinghall being instrumental)!
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us