Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

2 Feb, 2014
2014-2-2 8:48:19 PM UTC

Khamûl wrote:
It's been pretty quiet around here...

Anyone any comments on the quality/format of the H/LR "Collector's Edition" boxset? Anyone noticed, or bought, the Hb "Film Tie-in Edition" (pocket) H?

BH

Yes, I've got both. Apart from the words 'Now a major motion picture' on the front, I can't see anything that makes it a film tie-in version of The Hobbit. In all other respects, it's just another hardback issue.

The dust jacket is actually quite nice. It's based on Tolkien's original, but it uses a more naturalistic illustration. It's not immediately obvious, but when you open it out, you've got the Lonely Mountain in the centre, with a daytime scene on the right and night-time on the left - as per the original, but more in the style of a modern fantasy novel. I'm sure opinions will vary, but I quite like it.
3 Mar, 2014
2014-3-3 11:33:18 PM UTC
I've now received the latest offerings from HC, namely the pocket Farmer Giles, and the paperback Fall of Arthur.

In the latter case, I was thinking that it would nicely complete a run of all the major works in matching B-format paperbacks, but sadly not. It just seems to be the pages of the hardback bound in a soft cover, so it stands nearly an inch taller than my other paperbacks. A bit of a disappointment really.

Farmer Giles is very nice, though.
4 Mar, 2014
2014-3-4 7:41:38 PM UTC
Easton Press has a new Tolkien-related offering, The Making of Middle-earth by Christopher Snyder. Anyone familiar with this title?
5 Mar, 2014 (edited)
2014-3-5 1:55:29 AM UTC

Karl wrote:
Easton Press has a new Tolkien-related offering, The Making of Middle-earth by Christopher Snyder. Anyone familiar with this title?

I'd also be interested as I haven't managed to find any particularly useful reviews of the book online. I got the email about the Easton press edition a few weeks ago, and it seemed a bit expensive (compared to the Fall of Arthur, for example). I'm also not really sold on the cover design, but it might look a lot better in real life than in the computer rendering.

http://www.eastonpress.com/books/prod ... OF-MIDDLE-EARTH_2919.aspx
19 Mar, 2014
2014-3-19 2:28:17 PM UTC
19 Mar, 2014
2014-3-19 5:25:48 PM UTC
Fantastic
19 Mar, 2014
2014-3-19 5:30:04 PM UTC
Thanks Morgan! I have been waiting for this for quite a while. This is new news to me. I'll be ordering that for sure.
19 Mar, 2014
2014-3-19 5:34:15 PM UTC
Very exciting news! I hadn't personally heard a squeak about this; but then I haven't really had my ear to the book-world ground recently.

BH
19 Mar, 2014
2014-3-19 5:46:08 PM UTC
EP have released a leather-bound 'Fall of Arthur'. Might be of interest to some. I don't personally collect American books, but I do have the EP releases (so I have ordered a copy). Note that international buyers need to ring them up to order (but the person took my order was very polite and helpful, and international postage was only $8 on top of the US price).
--Stu
Stu, I went to the website to order this; was the order you placed a pre-order? (It says it's not published until May 2014.) I just wanted to double check it hadn't been (quickly) reprinted or something; as I got the impression, when I first read your post, that it was available (i.e. had been published) at that time.

BH
19 Mar, 2014 (edited)
2014-3-19 10:09:43 PM UTC

Khamûl wrote:
EP have released a leather-bound 'Fall of Arthur'. Might be of interest to some. I don't personally collect American books, but I do have the EP releases (so I have ordered a copy). Note that international buyers need to ring them up to order (but the person took my order was very polite and helpful, and international postage was only $8 on top of the US price).
--Stu
Stu, I went to the website to order this; was the order you placed a pre-order? (It says it's not published until May 2014.) I just wanted to double check it hadn't been (quickly) reprinted or something; as I got the impression, when I first read your post, that it was available (i.e. had been published) at that time.

BH

No, mine wasn't a pre-order as such, although I did order within the first day or two of it being listed as "available now" back in November last year, and it did then take a good few weeks to arrive. I think they must now have run out of their initial print run and be awaiting the reprint.

EP generally don't have any publication history in their books, so although there can be minor differences between print runs, there is generally nothing printed inside to indicate which print run a book belongs to. I just retained the packaging and order slip to show mine was from the first batch (for what it is worth).

I posted another thread on here with some pictures of the book when I received it (https://www.tolkienguide.com/modules/n ... php?topic_id=2187&forum=9).
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us