Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

2 May, 2014
2014-5-2 10:14:03 PM UTC
Just happened to notice that Easton Press has the History of The Lord of the Rings (four books - Return of the Shadow, Treason of Isengard, War of the Ring, End of the Third Age) in their trademark green leather and gold gilt.

Should be shipping later this month, $400 approximately.

http://www.eastonpress.com/prod/D5B/T ... RD-OF-THE-RINGS_2417.aspx

1_5364189b57802.jpg 800X800 px
2 May, 2014
2014-5-2 10:18:38 PM UTC
Hi Turambar,

the text has been re-set and is the latest corrected version, so it will have some updates and corrections the 50th did not (and, Murphy's law and all, probably add a new mistake or two).

Also it has that fancy "transparent slipcase" that I would like to see before I form a final opinion on, but I have misgivings.

But it does look remarkably like the 50th anniversary edition.

Has it been ten years already?
3 May, 2014
2014-5-3 3:37:07 AM UTC
I believe the transparent slipcase is for the new 60th anniversary, 1-volume, Alan Lee illustrated LoTR. The new, 4-volume LoTR set with the Reader's Companion does appear to be a reissue of the 50th anniversary set (though with the updated Reader's Companion and a new ISBN).
3 May, 2014 (edited)
2014-5-3 7:29:43 AM UTC

Urulöké wrote:
Just happened to notice that Easton Press has the History of The Lord of the Rings (four books - Return of the Shadow, Treason of Isengard, War of the Ring, End of the Third Age) in their trademark green leather and gold gilt.

Should be shipping later this month, $400 approximately.

http://www.eastonpress.com/prod/D5B/T ... RD-OF-THE-RINGS_2417.aspx

Bah! That's likely to be me $400 poorer, then! Thanks for the heads up.
3 May, 2014
2014-5-3 8:36:34 AM UTC

Turambar wrote:
Am I missing something? Isn't the 60th Anniversary LOTR boxset just a reissue of the 50th Anniversary version?

http://www.tolkien.co.uk/product/9780007581146/The+Lord+of+the+Rings+Boxed+Set+

I think it is essentially a re-issue, but the Hammond & Scull companion volume has been updated (perhaps Findegil can confirm that?)
4 May, 2014
2014-5-4 12:23:05 AM UTC
I think it is essentially a re-issue, but the Hammond & Scull companion volume has been updated (perhaps Findegil can confirm that?)

The picture of the boxed set on HarperCollins' site is of the one issued in 2005, so one shouldn't judge by that. The new (further corrected and augmented) hardback edition of our Reader's Companion will have a slightly different dust-jacket. As for The Lord of the Rings, our understanding is that the new three-volume edition will be a reprint of the existing text, not reset, and without further corrections (though this last remains to be seen). The new one-volume edition, however, will be reset and will include at least some of the corrections we've listed in our online addenda and corrigenda; this will have new pagination, with the index revised to suit. We have not had direct involvement with the reset edition except to comment on a further correction (which was approved by Christopher Tolkien), and to revise our 'Note on the Anniversary Edition'; and we've not been informed of any correction or emendation beyond this, which is not to say that there has been none, and as Urulöké remarks, resetting often produces new errors. We'll know better when we get copies.

Wayne & Christina
4 May, 2014
2014-5-4 6:20:53 AM UTC

Findegil wrote:

The picture of the boxed set on HarperCollins' site is of the one issued in 2005, so one shouldn't judge by that. The new (further corrected and augmented) hardback edition of our Reader's Companion will have a slightly different dust-jacket. As for The Lord of the Rings, our understanding is that the new three-volume edition will be a reprint of the existing text, not reset, and without further corrections (though this last remains to be seen). The new one-volume edition, however, will be reset and will include at least some of the corrections we've listed in our online addenda and corrigenda; this will have new pagination, with the index revised to suit. We have not had direct involvement with the reset edition except to comment on a further correction (which was approved by Christopher Tolkien), and to revise our 'Note on the Anniversary Edition'; and we've not been informed of any correction or emendation beyond this, which is not to say that there has been none, and as Urulöké remarks, resetting often produces new errors. We'll know better when we get copies.

Wayne & Christina

Thanks very much for the information.
5 May, 2014
2014-5-5 9:49:18 PM UTC
Thanks for the information, guys.

Speedy Hen seem to have an image of the single volume edition with the plastic cover, by the way.

http://www.speedyhen.com/StoreFront/Product/J-R-R-Tolkien/The-Lord-of-the-Rings/14802369
5 May, 2014
2014-5-5 10:11:20 PM UTC
Thanks Turambar!

There is a slightly larger image available on the official Tolkien store now as well:

http://www.tolkien.co.uk/product/9780 ... 46/The+Lord+of+the+Rings+

1_53680cd3d6c36.jpg 377X451 px
6 May, 2014
2014-5-6 8:55:46 AM UTC

Urulöké wrote:
Thanks Turambar!

There is a slightly larger image available on the official Tolkien store now as well:

http://www.tolkien.co.uk/product/9780 ... 46/The+Lord+of+the+Rings+

The book looks really nice (the bright blue goes well with the illustrated boards). The slipcase, however, just looks like cheap plastic packaging - which is exactly what it is. Pity they couldn't have done a nice durable thick cardboard slipcase, rather than taking the el-cheapo option.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us