Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

6 May, 2014
2014-5-6 11:57:35 AM UTC

Findegil wrote:
The new (further corrected and augmented) hardback edition of our Reader's Companion will have a slightly different dust-jacket. As for The Lord of the Rings, our understanding is that the new three-volume edition will be a reprint of the existing text, not reset, and without further corrections (though this last remains to be seen).

I asked HarperCollins about the box set, and they also gave some information about the 60th Anniversary Alan Lee book.

"We are awaiting finished copies of the new boxed sets so that we can update the photograph. The Companion jacket has been redone in light grey with a red ring – we were never entirely happy with just how dark the original brown and purple jacket turned out – and the three individual books have had their ‘50th Anniversary edition’ strapline removed from the front and the copper foil has been replaced with tasteful colours which tone in with the artwork. It’s a subtle difference, but one that I hope will be regarded as an improvement.

The text has been corrected – I believe Wayne and Christina have listed the latest changes on the website. They are, as one would expect, pretty minor after the overhaul of ten years ago, and I don’t think any of them fall in The Two Towers. This text has also been used for the new single volume The Lord of the Rings illustrated edition by Alan Lee, for which all of Alan’s pictures have also been newly scanned from the original paintings. All the previous illustrated editions have been produced using intermediate photographic transparencies, and the new scans provided by Alan for this book reveal more detail and a more accurate colour match to the originals.
"

Ordering both of these today
6 May, 2014
2014-5-6 2:11:45 PM UTC
That email quote isn't exactly that clear...

Is it definitely saying that the text for both the single vol. LR and the LR/RC four vol. set (we know Reader's Companion has been updated) is reset & updated?

I'm ordering direct from SpeedyHen as their one vol. price is very, very low; less than half the HC/retail price. That said, I can't find any prices (although I ain't looked very hard!) less than £80 for the LR/RC set. Not ordering this set at that kind of price; at least not right now.

BH
6 May, 2014
2014-5-6 2:24:41 PM UTC
My reading of the email is that both the box set (Three volume editions and Readers Companion) and the one volume Alan Lee 60th Anniversary Edition have been reset.

"The text has been corrected – I believe Wayne and Christina have listed the latest changes on the website. They are, as one would expect, pretty minor after the overhaul of ten years ago, and I don’t think any of them fall in The Two Towers. This text has also been used for the new single volume The Lord of the Rings illustrated edition by Alan Lee"
6 May, 2014
2014-5-6 10:40:30 PM UTC

Khamûl wrote:
That email quote isn't exactly that clear...

Is it definitely saying that the text for both the single vol. LR and the LR/RC four vol. set (we know Reader's Companion has been updated) is reset & updated?

I'm ordering direct from SpeedyHen as their one vol. price is very, very low; less than half the HC/retail price. That said, I can't find any prices (although I ain't looked very hard!) less than £80 for the LR/RC set. Not ordering this set at that kind of price; at least not right now.

BH

Speedhen has the LOTR/RC boxed set for GBP 50.69 at the moment. Seems like a decent price. No good for me as they don't ship overseas (except for their eBay store), but looks like a very good price for UK buyers.
7 May, 2014
2014-5-7 9:45:53 AM UTC
I could have sworn that said £80-odd yesterday. Anyway, yes --£50.69 is a great price. I see the new cover image for A Reader's Companion too.

BH

125_536a00c3a54d6.jpg 126X200 px
8 May, 2014
2014-5-8 5:20:06 AM UTC

Khamûl wrote:
I could have sworn that said £80-odd yesterday. Anyway, yes --£50.69 is a great price. I see the new cover image for A Reader's Companion too.

BH

£55.80 on Amazon now. That was good enough for me to pre-order.
18 May, 2014
2014-5-18 2:53:39 PM UTC
Publisher's Weekly review of Beowulf is now available:

http://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/by ... ation-and-commentary.html
22 May, 2014
2014-5-22 6:36:45 AM UTC
A picture of the Beowulf deluxe edition:

http://www.tolkien.co.uk/product/9780007590070/Beowulf+
24 May, 2014
2014-5-24 9:56:25 PM UTC
Doug Anderson has just announced, on his blog, that a Pb edition of Tolkien On Fairy-stories is due to be published on August 14th:
http://tolkienandfantasy.blogspot.co. ... =Feed:+TolkienAndFantasy+(Tolkien+and+Fantasy)

BH

125_538115e8c9a9f.jpg 1024X417 px
29 May, 2014 (edited)
2014-5-29 5:38:25 PM UTC
Pocket Edition of Tom Bombadil cover.

Today we received from HarperCollins a preview of the cover of the new pocket edition of The Adventures of Tom Bombadil and Other Verses from the Red Book, in advance of the image being released to booksellers at the end of this week. The publication date remains 9 October this autumn. The cover art was adapted from the original wraparound jacket and cover painting by Pauline Baynes. As mentioned here, the new edition includes earlier versions of Tolkien’s poems together with our introduction, comments, and annotations.

http://wayneandchristina.wordpress.co ... 05/28/tom-bombadil-cover/

For reference the second image is the original, which is the back cover of the The Adventures of Tom Bombadil, in print from 1962-1975.

I really like the new version by the way, it is so well done and keeps so much of Pauline Baynes fantastic detail from the original.

Findegil, Do you know if the front cover of the original book will now be on the back of the new edition?

10_5387712bd14a8.jpg 432X600 px

10_5387715a87ef4.jpg 768X1207 px
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us