Re: New Book Releases
Shirrif
From Essex, England
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif

Findegil wrote:
The new (further corrected and augmented) hardback edition of our Reader's Companion will have a slightly different dust-jacket. As for The Lord of the Rings, our understanding is that the new three-volume edition will be a reprint of the existing text, not reset, and without further corrections (though this last remains to be seen).

I asked HarperCollins about the box set, and they also gave some information about the 60th Anniversary Alan Lee book.

"We are awaiting finished copies of the new boxed sets so that we can update the photograph. The Companion jacket has been redone in light grey with a red ring – we were never entirely happy with just how dark the original brown and purple jacket turned out – and the three individual books have had their ‘50th Anniversary edition’ strapline removed from the front and the copper foil has been replaced with tasteful colours which tone in with the artwork. It’s a subtle difference, but one that I hope will be regarded as an improvement.

The text has been corrected – I believe Wayne and Christina have listed the latest changes on the website. They are, as one would expect, pretty minor after the overhaul of ten years ago, and I don’t think any of them fall in The Two Towers. This text has also been used for the new single volume The Lord of the Rings illustrated edition by Alan Lee, for which all of Alan’s pictures have also been newly scanned from the original paintings. All the previous illustrated editions have been produced using intermediate photographic transparencies, and the new scans provided by Alan for this book reveal more detail and a more accurate colour match to the originals.
"

Ordering both of these today

Posted on: 5/6 4:57:35

Shirrif
From Scotland
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif
That email quote isn't exactly that clear...

Is it definitely saying that the text for both the single vol. LR and the LR/RC four vol. set (we know Reader's Companion has been updated) is reset & updated?

I'm ordering direct from SpeedyHen as their one vol. price is very, very low; less than half the HC/retail price. That said, I can't find any prices (although I ain't looked very hard!) less than £80 for the LR/RC set. Not ordering this set at that kind of price; at least not right now.

BH

Posted on: 5/6 7:11:45

Shirrif
From Essex, England
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif
My reading of the email is that both the box set (Three volume editions and Readers Companion) and the one volume Alan Lee 60th Anniversary Edition have been reset.

"The text has been corrected – I believe Wayne and Christina have listed the latest changes on the website. They are, as one would expect, pretty minor after the overhaul of ten years ago, and I don’t think any of them fall in The Two Towers. This text has also been used for the new single volume The Lord of the Rings illustrated edition by Alan Lee"

Posted on: 5/6 7:24:41

Home away from home
From Queenstown, New Zealand
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship

Khamûl wrote:
That email quote isn't exactly that clear...

Is it definitely saying that the text for both the single vol. LR and the LR/RC four vol. set (we know Reader's Companion has been updated) is reset & updated?

I'm ordering direct from SpeedyHen as their one vol. price is very, very low; less than half the HC/retail price. That said, I can't find any prices (although I ain't looked very hard!) less than £80 for the LR/RC set. Not ordering this set at that kind of price; at least not right now.

BH

Speedhen has the LOTR/RC boxed set for GBP 50.69 at the moment. Seems like a decent price. No good for me as they don't ship overseas (except for their eBay store), but looks like a very good price for UK buyers.

Posted on: 5/6 15:40:30

Shirrif
From Scotland
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif
I could have sworn that said £80-odd yesterday. Anyway, yes --£50.69 is a great price. I see the new cover image for A Reader's Companion too.

BH

Attach file:

jpg  Reader\'s Companion Hb 2014.jpg (15.62 KB)
125_536a00c3a54d6.jpg 126X200 px

Posted on: 5/7 2:45:53

« 1 ... 53 54 55 (56) 57 58 59 ... 66 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You can vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.