12 hours 53 minutes ago

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 58 59 60 (61) 62 63 64 65 »

Re: New Book Releases
Not too shy to talk
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
The advertising copy (e.g. on Amazon.co.uk) says that the LotR of 60th anniversary this set contains "some additional text corrections" to the 50th anniversary text. Is this the case? Or is it in fact just a reprinting of the 50th anniversary text?

Carl

Posted on: 6/25 14:56:51

Thain
From California, USA
Group:
Thain
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Hi Carl,

a previous post had a response from HarperCollins on this <http://www.tolkienguide.com/modules/n ... t_id=13612#forumpost13612>

but here is a summary of their response:

The text has been corrected – I believe Wayne and Christina have listed the latest changes on the website. They are, as one would expect, pretty minor after the overhaul of ten years ago, and I don’t think any of them fall in The Two Towers. This text has also been used for the new single volume The Lord of the Rings illustrated edition by Alan Lee

Please note that this response directly conflicts with what Wayne was told and mentioned here (emphasis added by me): <http://www.tolkienguide.com/modules/n ... t_id=13599#forumpost13599>

The new (further corrected and augmented) hardback edition of our Reader's Companion will have a slightly different dust-jacket. As for The Lord of the Rings, our understanding is that the new three-volume edition will be a reprint of the existing text, not reset, and without further corrections (though this last remains to be seen). The new one-volume edition, however, will be reset and will include at least some of the corrections we've listed in our online addenda and corrigenda; this will have new pagination, with the index revised to suit. We have not had direct involvement with the reset edition except to comment on a further correction (which was approved by Christopher Tolkien), and to revise our 'Note on the Anniversary Edition'; and we've not been informed of any correction or emendation beyond this, which is not to say that there has been none, and as Urulöké remarks, resetting often produces new errors. We'll know better when we get copies.

Can someone who has a copy in hand report on this?

Posted on: 6/25 15:32:20

Edited by Urulöké on 2014/6/25 15:46:58

Shirrif
From Essex, England
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif
I checked the 50th Fellowship of the Ring from the box set, with the newly arrived 60th Fellowship of the Ring (6th printing) against the changes listed by Wayne and Christina (http://www.hammondandscull.com/addenda/rings.html).

The 6th printing incorporates all the changes on the pages, that I checked, i.e. the change below is in the new copy

"p. 50, Ring inscription: As noted in The Lord of the Rings: A Reader’s Companion, the inscription reproduced in 2004 printings of the 50th anniversary edition is incorrect, taken from earlier, rejected lettering by Tolkien."

However, I have just checked Wayne & Christina's Note on the text in the Fellowship of the Ring, and this seems to be different to the note in the one volume 60th anniversary edition.

6th impression Fellowship of the Ring

Note on the 50th Anniversary Edition and dated May 2004

60th Anniversary One volume edition

Note on the revised text and dated January 2014

I would have expected both books to have the January 2014 notes.

Posted on: 6/25 22:13:38

Edited by Trotter on 2014/6/25 23:33:28
Edited by Trotter on 2014/6/25 23:35:55
Edited by Trotter on 2014/6/26 13:37:45

Home away from home
From Queenstown, New Zealand
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Any idea at what impression the spine lettering changed from the gilt to the orange and white coloured printing that can be seen on the 6th impressions?

Posted on: 6/25 23:16:13

Thain
From California, USA
Group:
Thain
Shirefolk
Fellowship
I think the foil was removed for this impression - see HarperCollins quote (my emphasis added):

The Companion jacket has been redone in light grey with a red ring – we were never entirely happy with just how dark the original brown and purple jacket turned out – and the three individual books have had their ‘50th Anniversary edition’ strapline removed from the front and the copper foil has been replaced with tasteful colours which tone in with the artwork. It’s a subtle difference, but one that I hope will be regarded as an improvement.

http://www.tolkienguide.com/modules/n ... t_id=13612#forumpost13612

Posted on: 6/26 10:22:07

« 1 ... 58 59 60 (61) 62 63 64 65 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You can vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.