« 1 ... 12 13 14 (15) 16 17 18 ... 66 »

Re: New Book Releases
Shirrif
From Essex, England
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif
Amazon are running a sale over Christmas on Kindle Books.

Bob Blackham's The J R R Tolkien Miscellany is £1.19 in the UK store, don't know if it is available in other regions.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Tolkien-M ... F8&qid=1356612149&sr=1-27

This is not a recommendation for the book, as I have found quite a few mistakes i.e. the book states that Farmer Giles of Ham was printed in 1946

Posted on: 2012/12/27 5:45

Edited by Trotter on 2012/12/27 11:05:50

Not too shy to talk
Group:
Shirefolk

Khamûl wrote:
I can't remember if this was discussed previously, but has anyone actually bought "The J. R. R. Tolkien Collection" --the 2012 five volume (H, LR, Silm., CoH, & Tales from the Perilous Realm) deluxe incarnation? The HC site claims they've only made 100 of these sets i.e. they've only made 100 slipcases.

Hi guys. New here, and relatively new to collecting Tolkien (although a long time reader).

I've also bought one of these sets (and quite a saga it was), so I thought I'd post an update on the contents.

The Hobbit just states that it was published in 2004, with no details of impression number, but presumably it's the latest one.
The Lord of the Rings is the 7th impression.
The Silmarillion is the 2nd impression.
The Children of Hurin and Tales from the Perilous Realm are both 1st impressions.

Hope that's of interest.

Posted on: 2013/1/7 16:50

Shirrif
From Scotland
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif
The fact that H is still a 1st imp. is quite surprising; although, recently, I was in Waterstones (at Christmas) & the 2004 deluxe they had was a first, which (again) I found surprising. Interesting to note that there are definitely 2nd imp. copies of The Silmarillion out there, & that this edition has finally been reprinted too.

BH

Posted on: 2013/1/8 7:19

Home away from home
From Queenstown, New Zealand
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship

Khamûl wrote:
The fact that H is still a 1st imp. is quite surprising; although, recently, I was in Waterstones (at Christmas) & the 2004 deluxe they had was a first, which (again) I found surprising. Interesting to note that there are definitely 2nd imp. copies of The Silmarillion out there, & that this edition has finally been reprinted too.

BH

It may well not be a first impression. The Deluxe Hobbit has had at least one reprint without any statement of reprinting. The paper on the slipcase and cover is slightly different than the first impression, but unless you were familiar with the "genuine" 1st, you wouldn't know. They currently have it in my local bookstore.

Posted on: 2013/1/9 3:42

Shirrif
From Scotland
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif
I was actually going to mention that --but wasn't sure exactly what I'd seen. The one in Waterstones, I handled, had no indication of reprint; hence my statement above. It was, however, slightly different looking, as you say --the slipcase was definitely more green looking; a kind of deeper green. I didn't think anything of it at the time.

So, do we know any of the differentiating points between impressions, or even how many times it's likely to have been reprinted?

BH

Posted on: 2013/1/9 4:33

« 1 ... 12 13 14 (15) 16 17 18 ... 66 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You can vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.