Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

27 Dec, 2012 (edited)
2012-12-27 12:45:56 PM UTC
Amazon are running a sale over Christmas on Kindle Books.

Bob Blackham's The J R R Tolkien Miscellany is £1.19 in the UK store, don't know if it is available in other regions.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Tolkien-M ... collsguid-21&linkCode=osi

This is not a recommendation for the book, as I have found quite a few mistakes i.e. the book states that Farmer Giles of Ham was printed in 1946
7 Jan, 2013
2013-1-7 11:50:50 PM UTC

Khamûl wrote:
I can't remember if this was discussed previously, but has anyone actually bought "The J. R. R. Tolkien Collection" --the 2012 five volume (H, LR, Silm., CoH, & Tales from the Perilous Realm) deluxe incarnation? The HC site claims they've only made 100 of these sets i.e. they've only made 100 slipcases.

Hi guys. New here, and relatively new to collecting Tolkien (although a long time reader).

I've also bought one of these sets (and quite a saga it was), so I thought I'd post an update on the contents.

The Hobbit just states that it was published in 2004, with no details of impression number, but presumably it's the latest one.
The Lord of the Rings is the 7th impression.
The Silmarillion is the 2nd impression.
The Children of Hurin and Tales from the Perilous Realm are both 1st impressions.

Hope that's of interest.
8 Jan, 2013
2013-1-8 2:19:07 PM UTC
The fact that H is still a 1st imp. is quite surprising; although, recently, I was in Waterstones (at Christmas) & the 2004 deluxe they had was a first, which (again) I found surprising. Interesting to note that there are definitely 2nd imp. copies of The Silmarillion out there, & that this edition has finally been reprinted too.

BH
9 Jan, 2013
2013-1-9 10:42:01 AM UTC

Khamûl wrote:
The fact that H is still a 1st imp. is quite surprising; although, recently, I was in Waterstones (at Christmas) & the 2004 deluxe they had was a first, which (again) I found surprising. Interesting to note that there are definitely 2nd imp. copies of The Silmarillion out there, & that this edition has finally been reprinted too.

BH

It may well not be a first impression. The Deluxe Hobbit has had at least one reprint without any statement of reprinting. The paper on the slipcase and cover is slightly different than the first impression, but unless you were familiar with the "genuine" 1st, you wouldn't know. They currently have it in my local bookstore.
9 Jan, 2013
2013-1-9 11:33:54 AM UTC
I was actually going to mention that --but wasn't sure exactly what I'd seen. The one in Waterstones, I handled, had no indication of reprint; hence my statement above. It was, however, slightly different looking, as you say --the slipcase was definitely more green looking; a kind of deeper green. I didn't think anything of it at the time.

So, do we know any of the differentiating points between impressions, or even how many times it's likely to have been reprinted?

BH
10 Jan, 2013
2013-1-10 12:15:09 AM UTC

Khamûl wrote:
I was actually going to mention that --but wasn't sure exactly what I'd seen. The one in Waterstones, I handled, had no indication of reprint; hence my statement above. It was, however, slightly different looking, as you say --the slipcase was definitely more green looking; a kind of deeper green. I didn't think anything of it at the time.

So, do we know any of the differentiating points between impressions, or even how many times it's likely to have been reprinted?

BH

Exactly right. The green is significantly brighter and the paper less textured than the genuine 1st.
10 Jan, 2013
2013-1-10 2:03:03 AM UTC
Yes, despite the lack of an impression number for The Hobbit, I certainly wasn't assuming it was a 1st.
10 Jan, 2013
2013-1-10 2:20:24 AM UTC

Turambar wrote:
Yes, despite the lack of an impression number for The Hobbit, I certainly wasn't assuming it was a 1st.

Understood. It's a pity HC have left the impression number off the reprint as it just causes confusion.
13 Jan, 2013
2013-1-13 4:30:24 PM UTC

Turambar wrote:

Turambar, Welcome to the Tolkien Collector's Guide, could you post some pictures of the box-set, I still have not received my set and am interested to see what it looks like
15 Jan, 2013
2013-1-15 12:51:16 AM UTC
No problem. I'll try and get something up in the next few days.

I also had problems getting mine delivered, and it took several calls to HC customer services to finally get hold of it. It might be worth chasing it up if you've been waiting a while.

It doesn't help that whoever runs HC's Tolkien site hardly seems to bother. Last time I checked, they were still showing the 4 volume set on the front page, despite it having long since sold out, whilst the 5 volume set has yet to have a picture posted. At one point I wondered if it really existed.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us