Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

9 Jun, 2017
2017-6-9 3:13:51 AM UTC
It sounds like the 3 volumes will not be individually slipcased, but only have one large slipcase. In terms of continuity, I find this a little disappointing, along with the choice to bind them all in black. Why not differing shades of black/gray? The slipcases within a slipcase of the collections gathering the first 4 and the 5 books in the series were a bit overkill, but being able to shelve each book with its own slipcase is a bonus in my view.
9 Jun, 2017
2017-6-9 4:06:44 AM UTC

Karl wrote:
It sounds like the 3 volumes will not be individually slipcased, but only have one large slipcase. In terms of continuity, I find this a little disappointing, along with the choice to bind them all in black. Why not differing shades of black/gray? The slipcases within a slipcase of the collections gathering the first 4 and the 5 books in the series were a bit overkill, but being able to shelve each book with its own slipcase is a bonus in my view.

I absolutely agree with you, Karl. The all black is a disappointing choice for a series that has had some lovely colour variations. I too felt they could have used shades of some colour to tie these three volumes together.

And of course, the fact that they will come in a single encapsulating box is going to break the continuity. I doubt they will release just outer boxes for those who've collected the rest of the books separately.

Oh well! At least we're getting these books in the same style, which is what I had hoped for :)
9 Jun, 2017 (edited)
2017-6-9 5:39:14 AM UTC
I think I would have preferred individual slipcases, but happy to wait and see what it looks like. If I like I will buy, if not, I'll give it a miss. A lot of variable factors as to whether this one hits the spot (for me), I think.

I hope that it is one that I want to buy, mind.
9 Jun, 2017
2017-6-9 8:39:13 AM UTC
I really can't fathom the idea of a deluxe slip-cased 3 volume 'reference work'. 3 volumes of the weight of HoME will ruin the poorly constructed slip in no time unless it never moves from one spot.
9 Jun, 2017
2017-6-9 10:53:38 AM UTC

onthetrail wrote:
I really can't fathom the idea of a deluxe slip-cased 3 volume 'reference work'. 3 volumes of the weight of HoME will ruin the poorly constructed slip in no time unless it never moves from one spot.

Agreed. That is the problem with the current slipcased standard HoME edition.
9 Jun, 2017
2017-6-9 10:59:51 AM UTC
I agree on this, will probably give this set a miss, unless they look really good, not sure that this release is necessary.
9 Jun, 2017
2017-6-9 11:13:56 AM UTC
I do question the need for this release. I ran out of space for notes in my existing version and bought another identical one, it was still the 2002 print, so it is not as if this set is desperate to be reissued when a 15 year old set is readily available through major retailers.
9 Jun, 2017
2017-6-9 11:53:33 AM UTC
To be honest, I was hoping they would release this set in the same style as the current deluxe editions.

HOWEVER, the fact the colour is going to be black for all three books is disappointing. One can just as well get the existing set and remove the slipcovers:-/

This deluxe set should have at least been differentiated by its colour scheme. And individual slipcases!

Hopefully the foil-stamped motif will be interesting...
9 Jun, 2017
2017-6-9 3:05:39 PM UTC
It is all down to personal collecting. It is a pointless release to me because it is just that, pointless for me. I am sure others will enjoy it and treasure the set as an integral part of their collection. With having the hardback, paperback, and 2 x 3 Volume box-sets I just don't feel the need or desire to add that weight to the shelf.

I would love to see a reprint of The History of The Hobbit box before this.
9 Jun, 2017
2017-6-9 9:31:17 PM UTC
I guess the truth is that 99% of the various Tolkien reprints are pointless. They simply exist to try and find another way of extracting money from the consumer, not because there is any real need for them.

Fully knowing that they are pointless, there are nevertheless sometimes ones I like, but I'm now more than happy to pass on anything that doesn't hit the spot (Pocket hardback boxed sets, etc). I'm more interested in finding older (not necessarily valuable) books, I think, as much of the fun is in the chase.

Unrelated to HoME, I'm hoping we now really have seen the last of the "new" Tolkien works, mind (at least published in stretched-into-a-book format). Beren and Luthien is a good example of a book that didn't really need printing (although the new art work provides some justification).

I guess at some point we will be onto re-issues of all the post-2007 posthumous stuff. At that point, I'm well and truly out.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us