Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

23 Jul, 2017
2017-7-23 9:37:33 AM UTC

onthetrail wrote:
I would prefer this pocket box to fit with the Tolkien Treasury given it also called "Treasury" and have a cover piece from each book, the covers used in the 2005 volumes would work well, I think they would fit more with the Tolkien Treasury covers. Either the towers or the background of Return of the King would fit the Roverandom style on the front. I think the white spines of the Rings volumes are what look out of place.

The thing is that the LoTR volumes in the new set are based off the 1st Edition Dust jackets, which are all just off-white and very simple, so there isn't really a cover piece from each book to use.. I really didn't like the Tolkien Treasury box -- I thought it just looked like a hot mess (and I didn't buy it). The individual volumes were all nicely designed, though, and I have them individually.

The use of the weird box shape makes designing anything not rubbish quite difficult, in the case of the LoTR / Hobbit set. If it was a normal slipcase, it would be quite easy to do something decent inspired by the original 1st edition slipcases, with - perhaps - one side being LoTR and the other side being Hobbit inspired. The triangular shape lends itself to nothing, and I'm not sure that the 2005 covers could be used very easily (though I haven't experimented -- and I might).

The official slipcase isn't that bad compared to what it could be. To be honest, I'm more interested on how the sub-scale faux-1st edition books will turn out. I'm considering the slipcase to be incidental.
23 Jul, 2017
2017-7-23 9:52:00 AM UTC
The thing is that the LoTR volumes in the new set are based off the 1st Edition Dust jackets, which are all just off-white and very simple, so there isn't really a cover piece from each book to use.. I really didn't like the Tolkien Treasury box -- I thought it just looked like a hot mess (and I didn't buy it). The individual volumes were all nicely designed, though, and I have them individually.

The use of the weird box shape makes designing anything not rubbish quite difficult, in the case of the LoTR / Hobbit set. If it was a normal slipcase, it would be quite easy to do something decent inspired by the original 1st edition slipcases, with - perhaps - one side being LoTR and the other side being Hobbit inspired. The triangular shape lends itself to nothing, and I'm not sure that the 2005 covers could be used very easily.

Good point about the 1st edition jackets. I don't like the off white with the box but I do like the map, just not the colour. I was not too fussed over the treasury box but did like the volumes.

I just think that if they are going to release another title and expect it to sit within a "treasury" scope then it should at least sit within that style.
23 Jul, 2017
2017-7-23 10:02:00 AM UTC

onthetrail wrote:

The use of the weird box shape makes designing anything not rubbish quite difficult, in the case of the LoTR / Hobbit set. If it was a normal slipcase, it would be quite easy to do something decent inspired by the original 1st edition slipcases, with - perhaps - one side being LoTR and the other side being Hobbit inspired. The triangular shape lends itself to nothing, and I'm not sure that the 2005 covers could be used very easily.

Good point about the 1st edition jackets. I don't like the off white with the box but I do like the map, just not the colour. I was not too fussed over the treasury box but did like the volumes.

I just think that if they are going to release another title and expect it to sit within a "treasury" scope then it should at least sit within that style.

I think the map would work on a white box, probably. I'm not fussed about consistency based on the name "Treasury", personally. For me, it is just a name, and I'd prefer it to be as good as it can be, rather than consistent. Quite honestly, taking the design they have and inverting it (other than inverting the red, of course), looks pretty reasonable.

I doubt the books themselves will be off-white. my assumption is that they will be white (they aren't trying to be original with this).
23 Jul, 2017
2017-7-23 5:36:16 PM UTC
I can't help thinking there is a point where re-packaging the same material, over and over again, just gets overwhelming. I have first and second editions of the UK and NA printings, along with a number of other HC and PB editions, most of which are pre-80's. There have been so many different printings since then it is almost impossible to keep track!
23 Jul, 2017
2017-7-23 9:10:18 PM UTC

Red wrote:
I can't help thinking there is a point where re-packaging the same material, over and over again, just gets overwhelming. I have first and second editions of the UK and NA printings, along with a number of other HC and PB editions, most of which are pre-80's. There have been so many different printings since then it is almost impossible to keep track!

I don't disagree. I don't bother with paperbacks and I only bother with hardbacks if they take my fancy. At this stage, I'd view completism as throwing money in the bin (and I work too hard for it to do that!)...
23 Jul, 2017
2017-7-23 10:25:57 PM UTC

I don't disagree. I don't bother with paperbacks and I only bother with hardbacks if they take my fancy. At this stage, I'd view completism as throwing money in the bin (and I work too hard for it to do that!)...

As an aspiring completist, I completely agree.
19 Sep, 2017
2017-9-19 7:43:40 AM UTC
We're two days out from the release of the new Deluxe HoME set. Has anybody seen actual images of it? I admit I had sent the publishers a message informing them about my feelings on the design etc. I doubt it would have made any difference. I'm just curious to see what the final product looks like since several sites have varying images.
19 Sep, 2017
2017-9-19 7:58:13 AM UTC

Earl wrote:
We're two days out from the release of the new Deluxe HoME set. Has anybody seen actual images of it? I admit I had sent the publishers a message informing them about my feelings on the design etc. I doubt it would have made any difference. I'm just curious to see what the final product looks like since several sites have varying images.

Haven't seen any significantly revised design. Also haven't ordered it, given the poor pre-publication designs. I guess we will know in a few days.
19 Sep, 2017
2017-9-19 5:06:40 PM UTC
I am waiting for my preorder. If it will be of any help to anyone I can post pictures as soon as it arrives.
19 Sep, 2017
2017-9-19 9:15:04 PM UTC

Lokki wrote:
I am waiting for my preorder. If it will be of any help to anyone I can post pictures as soon as it arrives.

I think that would definitely be useful for those sitting on the fence on this one.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us