3 hours 59 minutes ago

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

A Tolkien Book of Days [HarperCollins 1996]
Home away from home
From Sweden
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
I bought a lovely little piece of ephemera today, A Tolkien Book of Days (HarperCollins 1996).

I would be glad for any help on the following questions:

1) Are the contents of this diary exactly reproduced from The Tolkien Diary (Grafton 1992)?

2) Is there any "unique" Tolkien material (or, material that can only be found in very expensive, out-of-print publications) in A Tolkien Book of Days? I'm specifically thinking of the illustrations (since the quotations all seem to come from widely available sources)? I cannot, for example, find the flower reproduced over 13-15 November in my copy of J.R.R. Tolkien: Artist and Illustrator (Hammond and Scull).

3) Across the book are sprinkled some very small illustrations and I wonder if all of these were made by Tolkien (and originally reproduced in Pictures by J.R.R. Tolkien, which I sadly don't own yet) - for example the tiny spider and cobweb appearing below 15 March?

4) Anyone happens to know who wrote the short introduction and the "factual" texts appearing on several dates? The only people mentioned in the book are Frank Richard Williamson and Christopher Tolkien, but I suspect neither of these took part in writing these texts (?).

Posted on: 2011/5/30 10:25

Edited by Khamul on 2011/10/1 13:12:32

Re: A Tolkien Book of Days
Shirrif
From Essex, England
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif

Morgan wrote:
1) Are the contents of this diary exactly reproduced from The Tolkien Diary (Grafton 1992)?

They are the same, the only obvious difference is that the introduction is different in both books, but after that they look identical to me.

Posted on: 2011/5/30 22:16

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You can vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]