Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

19 Jun, 2011
2011-6-19 1:53:09 PM UTC
Beren, I'd love to see that list when you can find the time / energy.

- wellinghall
19 Jun, 2011
2011-6-19 2:05:35 PM UTC
First trying to find some time to write some articles for TL... but let me see what I can do. I have all info on file so might be able to get this done real soon.
20 Jun, 2011
2011-6-20 3:49:10 AM UTC
>I can find at least 4 persons who will buy this book right away at this estimate!

One word: "Tulips".

I guess perhaps that there are enough uber-rich "money-no-object" types to support this market for the very rare items. The modern art world had a massive bubble-burst a couple of years ago, I believe, and I think any market that has lost sanity will generally correct in the end. I hope that this one does as it benefits no one.

50,000 pounds for a book from 1937 (i.e. fairly recent) is just crazy, signed or otherwise. I guess there are always going to be the "elites" out there for whom this is chump change (and they can always get more cash by squeezing the masses a little more if prices go down)

Vive la revolucion.

Stu.
20 Jun, 2011
2011-6-20 7:09:29 AM UTC
It is crazy indeed to see people pay such an amount for any book and I know it can make some collectors dream shatter, but I can already tell you now that the real crazy sales (like in 2002) will happen again real soon...

Hope you sort of enjoy the ride when the top pieces will hit the market, of course I will once again wish to own every single one of them, but it will be out of my league. Still I will try and enjoy the show!
20 Jun, 2011
2011-6-20 8:34:02 AM UTC
I must admit, I probably wouldn't classify myself as being someone whose "dreams are shattered" by such high prices. I guess I *could* pay 50,000 for a Hobbit if I really wanted to, but the truth is that I personally wouldn't pay 5000 for a copy, never mind 50,000 (other than to quickly on-sell for a fast buck, I suppose).

I do undoubtedly enjoy my (fairly small) book collection, but there is nothing at all worth more than about 500 pounds (and most much less than that). I tend to think that if a book costs more than a day or two's earnings, I probably won't enjoy it enough relative to how much I didn't enjoy earning the money! And I really don't enjoy earning money.

I don't buy into the global recession/depression having a positive effect on the "high-end" book prices. Art has not traditionally done well under such circumstances. Fiat currency probably isn't going to do well, either, mind.

I really look forward to the facsimile edition that comes out next year, though. More my price bracket, I think…!
20 Jun, 2011
2011-6-20 8:53:11 AM UTC
You are a collector to my heart! But you already know that, right!
I'm holding on some of the really unique items, but since I need to make a living as well I have been selling as well (especially other people's treasures!).

My own collection is rather big, but i intend to sell of 95% of it and just keep the books that I treasure and consider to be my true collection (this is mainly books from Tolkien's personal library and some books that have a story that is more important then the value of the item).

I'm also very much looking forward to see the facsimile edition and in the mean time I enjoy discovering rarities (not buying any, but just gathering the info about it) and that is also a way to collect.
22 Jun, 2011
2011-6-22 11:50:00 AM UTC
Hi Beren
Was after your help
Have PM'd you
Thanks
7 Apr, 2012 (edited)
2012-4-7 6:57:36 AM UTC
Here is the link to the PBS Web Page for the item.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/roadshow/archive/201102A52.html

Watch Appraisal: 1937 Signed, First Edition on PBS. See more from Antiques Roadshow.

Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us