Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

16 Jul, 2011 (edited)
2011-7-16 11:03:20 AM UTC
Yes it does
16 Jul, 2011
2011-7-16 3:24:30 PM UTC
Trotter, did you sneakily delete my cheaky post? (And remove some of your quesion marks?)

BH
17 Jul, 2011
2011-7-17 5:22:07 AM UTC

Trotter wrote:
Yes it does

Anyone of course has the right to be offended by something or not approve of something. My point was about the human tendency to make presumptions regarding what the dead might think (if they weren't dead). IMHO, this process involves attributing our own opinions to the dead in order to bolster the validity of said opinions. Surely it is enough to say "*I* do not approve", rather than "Tolkien would not have approved" and let that opinion stand on its own merit.

In the case of this bridge, given the utter and total crap that his been (willingly) licensed in Tolkien's name, I hardly think a bridge (which is presumably a useful thing to those who will cross it) is worth getting too worried about. I imagine the estate would weigh in and kill their party anyway.

Just my two-cents (or pennies) - it isn't my intent to offend any of the living

Stu
17 Jul, 2011
2011-7-17 11:02:10 AM UTC
>My point was about the human tendency to make presumptions regarding what the dead might think (if they weren't dead). IMHO, this process involves attributing our own opinions to the dead in order to bolster the validity of said opinions. Surely it is enough to say "*I* do not approve", rather than "Tolkien would not have approved" and let that opinion stand on its own merit.<

I totally agree - I find a lot of folk say things like 'Tolkien would have _loved_ the movies; this sentiment is usually expressed by movies fans who haven't read LotR, let alone anything about the man.

Lately, I find myself more and more wanting to say on certain websites that I disapprove of one thing or another (eg the use of Tolkien's letters without permission), but I've always held back because I expect I'd get back a gale of protest along the lines of 'Who are You, to 'disapprove' of something which I hold dear'?

Time was when I'd relish defending my position, but lately I find the attitudes on many websites to be so intimidating - with the word 'purist' being bandied about with venom, as if a purist were against God, apple pie and PJ) - that usually, I can't be bothered with the aggravation.

Still, that's straying from the point. Sorry. And it goes without saying that I find none of these nrgative attitudes here on this site.

17 Jul, 2011
2011-7-17 11:35:21 AM UTC
Bloody purist! Imagine not liking apple pie, or pyjamas...

BH
18 Jul, 2011
2011-7-18 1:09:37 AM UTC
And it goes without saying that I find none of these negative attitudes here on this site

Damn, I do my very hardest to display all kinds of negative attitudes and you didn't even notice!!!

I'll try a bit harder - How about : "The movies were indeed utterly awful and I look down at the kinds of people that like them and wonder what it would be like to be amongst the company of such asinine gutter-trash?" ?

S. :)
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us