« 1 2 3 (4)

Re: Interviews
Home away from home
From Queenstown, New Zealand
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship

garm wrote:
The world's biggest Tolkien fan? Not while I'm alive.

Typical Antipodean hyperbole, I'm afraid. I haven't watched the video, but I know he used to mostly collect "miscellaneous Tolkien and Jackson crap" (no offence to people who like such items -- just not to my taste) and only had a very limited collection of books.

(Note that when hyperbolising, we often add the phrase "in the southern hemisphere", so as to avoid too much scrutiny of any obviously outlandish claims of greatness. The southern hemisphere, of course, consists of places where you play football, grow/traffic drugs or get shot (or both), Antarctica (population 2,500), a vast wasteland full of red-dirt, kangaroos and backpacker murderers (and nothing else of note, except for a fancy opera house that is no good for opera), plus a tiny country with more sheep than people, so greatest/biggest/most expensive/etc don't mean much down here).

Posted on: 8/25 14:28:50

Edited by Stu on 2014/8/25 16:25:21

Quite a regular
Group:
Shirefolk
I started with collecting books but I am not sure it will stay that way. There are so much interesting Tolkien items out there. When watching collectors with over 10 000 items ( like in this interview that Trotter posted) I ask myself where will my collecting lead me in the future :)

Posted on: 8/26 3:20:27

Quite a regular
Group:
Shirefolk
As a matter of fact I am now also collecting old vinyls, not just books. I managed to find linguaphone's ''at the tobacconist'' and ''wireless'' vinyls:)

Posted on: 8/26 3:23:27

« 1 2 3 (4)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You can vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]