8 hours 3 minutes ago

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 6 »

Re: Tolkien Museum in Switzerland
Home away from home
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
I don't have any connections with the museum, but have visited it several times during the consturction... I don't have a clue what they will want to put on display or what their real plans are. But you can find Bernd Greisinger on Facebook and contact him if you wish to see if there is any room to aid him out.

Posted on: 2011/12/26 2:59

Home away from home
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Just out of interest, I checked Mark Faith's facebook page. Mr. Faith seems to fancy himself an expert in Tolkien bibliography:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid ... bde71c77b&id=149452046749

Someone hasn't been reading his Hammond.

Posted on: 2011/12/26 3:51

Home away from home
From Queenstown, New Zealand
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Why is that every time I read anything posted anywhere by (or about) Mark Faith, I get a sense of mild irritation?

S.

Posted on: 2011/12/26 4:19

Home away from home
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
One thing I don't like is MF's emphasis on the cost of a book - 'The Most Expensive Tolkien Book in the World' - that sort of thing. I get the impression we're all supposed to go 'Ooh!' in admiration. Actually, it gets up my nose - anyone can make up a collection of expensive items, if they've got the money.

My own collection contains items of interest, including some original artworks by Tolkien inspired artists, and some items signed by Tolkien. These were not priced in the thousands; only twice have I paid over three figures for any Tolkien item (and neither of these were signed). I collect within my budget; I've never paid more than the equivalent of a month's salary for any item.

I'm not naive; I know that markets are ruled by what buyers will pay. But in the area of Tolkien collecting, we're seeing what happened some years ago in the classic car market, when speculators drove up the prices beyond what enthusiasts can afford. It's a shame; esp. when (as in some cases) the prices are being driven upwards by folk who don't know as much about the topic as the rest of us!

Posted on: 2011/12/26 6:52

Home away from home
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
On the other hand - going back to my own collection for a moment - I enjoy showing it to fellow enthusiasts; no matter what their level of interest in 'Tolkien and all that', it never seems to take less than four hours for them to get an idea of what the collection's about.

I'd love to show it to a larger audience, but I worry about security. Now if the proprieters of the Swiss museum were kind enough to stump up the air-fare, I'd consider it. I wouldn't need a fancy hotel; I'd spend my nights kipping down in a sleeping bag next to the display cabinets!

Posted on: 2011/12/26 6:59

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 6 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You can vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]