Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

5 Mar, 2012
2012-3-5 8:48:35 AM UTC

cumbrian dwarf wrote:
i was the one that ended up getting this book, so i will let you know if it is a lighter shade or as i suspect just the lighting effect that is from the flash on the camera. The photo of this book on Tolkien books looks very much the same as well.

I bought a copy of the lord of the rings 1997 deluxe Indian paper edition with the quarter leather, which on the photo appeared to be brown, but as we know is black. I was a little anxious but the ebayer assured me it was just the flash and luckily for me it was, so i am hoping the same will happen this time.

This book looked a bit tatty - what is the general consensus on the final price on this one. I wouldn't mind buying a copy, but this one seemed a bit expensive for the condition (or am I off base)?
5 Mar, 2012
2012-3-5 9:03:49 AM UTC
Agree Stu
Am sure Cumbrian Dwarf will be happy with book. Price not too bad The one before went for £200 although there was one a few months ago that sneaked through @ £30! - missed it unfortunately.

these copies do seem to easily suffer damage for sure
6 Mar, 2012
2012-3-6 5:36:30 PM UTC
Got the book today, it was indeed the photo that has made it look a lighter shade of brown than it is. I think the price is about right.

The fading at the bottom is also alot less noticeable than in the photo as its much more dark brown with only a faint line/crease where it has gone a shade lighter so i don't really know what went on with the photo there (angle of light on leather?). I will take a photo if anyone is bothered, lol.

But i am very happy, its in way better condition than i thought it was (no general fading of spine and the rubbing is minimal, not like photo) also in unread condition inside.

This is the first book i have bought that wasn't in fine condition and although i want to buy all my books in mint condition I'm fine about this, though i will be annoyed if another one goes for 30 pounds now!

Just got to save up for mint 1st edition 1st imps of the hobbit and the lord of the rings now, haha.
6 Mar, 2012
2012-3-6 6:56:34 PM UTC
Good to hear the spine looks much better than expected and that you're happy with it :)
16 Mar, 2012
2012-3-16 6:42:44 PM UTC
I bought the one at 200, its very nice but does have a slight nick on the spine (as per photo in the auction). Still very pleased with it, I'm a new collector and it was an edition that I was keen to get hold of. The seller was great, combined shipping on another order I had with him and gave me a further discount, then triple boxed it to get it to me here in Thailand in one piece.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us