Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

27 Aug, 2012
2012-8-27 4:03:29 PM UTC
On a side note, speaking about pre-ordering from Amazon -- does pre-ordering in theory increase the chance of getting a first print (where applicable)? I'm thinking about the case with the pocket edition of The Hobbit, where people had to order through Canadian Amazon to get a first printing.
29 Aug, 2012
2012-8-29 3:09:28 AM UTC
I was wondering along the same lines as Morgan. My main thought was whether Amazon.com would be selling HM copies and Amazon.co.uk would sell HC copies. I was wanting a 1/1 deluxe HC, since most of Tolkien's work was originally published in the UK I tend to prefer HC printings...
29 Aug, 2012
2012-8-29 4:20:11 PM UTC
Would Amazon understand what you were talking about if you emailed them??!
29 Aug, 2012
2012-8-29 9:06:42 PM UTC
In "Product Details" (on Amazon.com) it clearly states that the publisher (of the edition they're claiming to be allowing you to pre-order) is HarperCollins --so they'll send you the HarperCollins edition.

In regard to impression: the recent H was an unusual case; normally you'd get the first impression.

BH
29 Aug, 2012
2012-8-29 9:10:36 PM UTC
Thanks khamul, I'm not very familiar with Amazon so that really helps. By the way, what are you referring to with the recent H? Thanks
29 Aug, 2012
2012-8-29 9:59:57 PM UTC
H stands for Hobbit and the recent release of the pocket edition.
29 Aug, 2012 (edited)
2012-8-29 10:08:56 PM UTC
Yeh, sorry. Indeed, I meant the recent "pocket" Hobbit. The first impression (so marked; with "1" in number line) was not, apparently, made available in the UK; but could be had in Canada (& perhaps Australia --I can't remember.) Anyway, this is reasonably unusual.

It's a bit like the 1974 slipcased (double open ended) Pb LotRs:-

The Lord of the Rings. 1974 (Tolkienbooks.net)

I.e. first impression sets were not available in the UK.

BH
31 Aug, 2012
2012-8-31 3:56:59 AM UTC
Ah, I knew I was having a brain block . So I'm curious, have you, Khamul or anyone else, bought a second or later impression of the pocket Hobbit? I recently bought a first impression deluxe Sigurd and Gudrun for $29, which might even be a little steep, but it makes me wonder if there is even a second impression of the title, deluxe or not. Point being, would it be a smart buy to pay $70 for Fall of Arthur straight from Amazon when it most likely will pop up on ebay for half that soon and might never even have a second impression (thereby negating the point of having a first impression).
Anyone know if these recent books have and/or will go into later impressions?
Thanks
31 Aug, 2012
2012-8-31 9:57:47 AM UTC
You'd have to take this case by case.

Some books haven't been reprinted. Therefore regardless of where you're buying from (i.e. you could still be buying it "new" from a seller, or on the second-hand market) you'd be getting a first impression. Useful, as you don't need to ask sellers questions about what the copyright page says. But for other titles you would want to ask.

So with the 2007 Deluxe "30th Aniversary" Silmarillion you wouldn't need to bother asking about impression, as it hasn't, as far as I'm aware, been reprinted. Ditto, the 2002 Deluxe Silmarillion. The 2004 Deluxe (red incarnation) LotRs you would want to ask about impression, as it's been reprinted at least twice. I'm not sure about the HC Deluxe S&G; I'd imagine it's not been reprinted.

Either way, for a title with a reasonably large print run you'll always have the opportunity to pick up an essentially new copy (& first impression) at some later date. Cheaper? --depends on the title. Amazon also discount pretty effectively at publication time.

It really depends on how sellers deal with the title a few years down the road; & how many casual Tolkien fans bought the book too, & now want to sell. The 2007 Deluxe Silmarillion is a great example of a title that you would have been better just buying off Amazon at publication time, as prices (for a variety of reasons) & availability now make acquiring a copy, for a sensible price, very difficult.

BH
31 Aug, 2012
2012-8-31 10:04:12 AM UTC
Sorry, in regard to the "pocket" H. No, I haven't bought a copy. But it was pretty obvious from the off that something was unusual, as bricks & mortar bookshops (i.e. Waterstones in the UK) had 2nd impressions on their shelves when the book had just been published. Amazon (UK) obviously don't bother mentioning this, but they'd have posted you a second impression too. Or so I gather.

To be honest, going back to an earlier point you made, I wouldn't trust Amazon to provide you with any accurate information. They are an appalling bookselling site. The way private sellers list etc is also a titanic mess. But this is where bargains are to be had; from confusion...

BH
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us