10 hours 16 minutes ago

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Legend of Sigurd and Gudrun SuperDuluxe - Warning re storage
Home away from home
From Queenstown, New Zealand
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Just a warning that you may wish to store your S&G SD editions flat, rather than vertical in a bookshelf. I pulled mine out of the bookshelf yesterday and found that the tray part of the traycase has moved slightly outward at the top, and slightly downward. The book has not been particularly exposed to excess heat or humidity, but the glue used to bond the tray onto the outer clam is actually quite thick and elastic.

It is a totally repairable problem by completely de-bonding the tray and gluing it back in the correct position using a sensible adhesive (which I will do at some point), but others might wish to check their books and store differently to avoid the issue occurring. Fortunately, my unopened one has been stored flat.

Needless to say, disappointing on a GBP 250 book that has been stored in a humidity controlled environment.

Stu

Posted on: 2012/10/7 14:35

Re: Legend of Sigurd and Gudrun SuperDuluxe - Warning re storage
Shirrif
From Scotland
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif
And what about the copy you keep in your car?

BH

Posted on: 2012/10/7 14:41

Shirrif
From Scotland
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif
Okay, just checked, & my CoH and S&G supers are both lying flat.

BH

Posted on: 2012/10/7 14:54

Home away from home
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship

Khamûl wrote:
And what about the copy you keep in your car?

BH

Oh, that one is absolute toast. :)

Posted on: 2012/10/7 18:24

Home away from home
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
OK, I fixed it. The existing glue can easily be cut by gently prizing the the tray from the outer clam and carefully cutting the stretched glue with a sharp kitchen knife. It comes away quite easily, but the glue remains amazingly tacky and elastic and will re-bond if the two sides come back into contact. The underside of the tray (that you can't normally see) is completely coated with leather and then glued to the clam using a square bead of adhesive with a single vertical line of additional adhesive running down the centre. The adhesive is a kind of thick clear mastic that is totally unsuitable for the task!

I simply added some double-sided tape and stuck the tray back in the right place (needs care to get it just right so it opens and closes correctly). The existing glue remains very sticky and re-bonds immediately. I hope the tape will just provide the additional support to keep it all in the right place, given the stretchiness of the existing glue.

If not, I'll be rolling out the epoxy!

Posted on: 2012/10/8 4:33

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You can vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]