Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

3 May, 2013
2013-5-3 10:26:47 PM UTC
And how long before he proposes that the name Burren is the origin of the name Beorn or the nearby town of Ruan is the origin of the name Rohan.
4 May, 2013
2013-5-4 12:37:48 PM UTC
Mr. Curtin contacted me last month about the copy of Tree and Leaf. I replied, in part, addressing several points made on the website: "All copies of Tree and Leaf in its first edition contain a printed facsimile Tolkien signature on the title-page, as shown in the video. My wife and I have in our Tolkien collection multiple copies of multiple printings of Tree and Leaf, and the facsimile signature is present from the first through at least the eighth impression of the hardback and the ninth of the paperback. Although both the hardback and paperback editions of Tree and Leaf were published simultaneously (from identical sheets), on 28 May 1964, the work was originally conceived by George Allen & Unwin for publication in its 'Unwin Books' (or 'U Books') paperback series, a feature of which was a facsimile signature of the author printed on the title-page. The same Tolkien signature appears as well in the Unwin Books edition of The Hobbit (1966)."

As for Tolkien returning to teach at Oxford, standing in for a colleague, Christina and I know of only one instance, during Michaelmas Term 1962 and Hilary Term 1963 (i.e. the end of 1962 and beginning of 1963), when C.L. Wrenn went on sabbatical. Of this Tolkien wrote to Rayner Unwin: "the return to lecturing . . . has proved a much greater burden than I expected. It has taken much more work than I guessed to shake the dust of seventeen years off matter which I once thought I knew". See Chronology, pp. 599 ff. At this time of course Tree and Leaf was not yet published; but one could still speculate about circumstances in which Mr. Prince could have received a copy from Tolkien.

Wayne
4 May, 2013 (edited)
2013-5-4 12:45:47 PM UTC
My wife and I have in our Tolkien collection multiple copies of multiple printings of Tree and Leaf...
--Findegil
He probably read that & thought I think Mr Hammond's exaggerating slightly there...

BH
4 May, 2013
2013-5-4 1:15:01 PM UTC

Khamûl wrote:
My wife and I have in our Tolkien collection multiple copies of multiple printings of Tree and Leaf...
--Findegil
He probably read that & thought I think Mr Hammond's exaggerating slightly there...

BH

Depressingly, I don't have any copies of any printings of Tree and Leaf.

A situation that I intend to remedy at some point !
4 May, 2013
2013-5-4 1:50:00 PM UTC

Findegil wrote:
Mr. Curtin contacted me last month about the copy of Tree and Leaf. I replied, in part, addressing several points made on the website: "All copies of Tree and Leaf in its first edition contain a printed facsimile Tolkien signature on the title-page, as shown in the video. My wife and I have in our Tolkien collection multiple copies of multiple printings of Tree and Leaf, and the facsimile signature is present from the first through at least the eighth impression of the hardback and the ninth of the paperback. Although both the hardback and paperback editions of Tree and Leaf were published simultaneously (from identical sheets), on 28 May 1964, the work was originally conceived by George Allen & Unwin for publication in its 'Unwin Books' (or 'U Books') paperback series, a feature of which was a facsimile signature of the author printed on the title-page. The same Tolkien signature appears as well in the Unwin Books edition of The Hobbit (1966)."

Wayne

Wayne thanks for this but i wonder why no notice of your email was taken, he acknowledged my comments on the book's printed signature as if it was new information and that he had not heard it before.

I told him nothing that was not better expressed in your email.
4 May, 2013
2013-5-4 1:58:27 PM UTC
If people have not seen this then Troel's blog also talks about the Burren Tolkien Society.

"Burren Tolkien Society
http://www.burrentolkiensociety.ie/
The Burren Tolkien Society, along with their Tolkien Festival, has recently received a some justified criticism for their completely spurious claims that features of the Irish Burren inspired anything in either The Hobbit or The Lord of the Rings, and also for the display of dragon-sickness in requiring people to donate €50.- to be able to even bid at a (rather worn) first edition copy of Tree and Leaf with a printed autograph. I think it is very sad that they have chosen to antagonize many serious Tolkienists by their ludicrous claims and practices, as there is a lot of sound research that has been buried by this silliness. So, do not believe any claim that Tolkien's visits to Ireland (starting in the summer of 1949, when The Lord of the Rings had been finished in draft for a year) inspired anything in The Hobbit or The Lord of the Rings, but enjoy the biographical information concerning Tolkien's other links to this area of Ireland.

http://parmarkenta.blogspot.co.uk/201 ... n-transactions-xxxvi.html

They have also posted another letter from Tolkien (not for sale) on their Facebook pages, I suspect that they do not hold permission from the Estate to make this copyrighted letter available.

4 May, 2013
2013-5-4 2:04:09 PM UTC
Wayne thanks for this but i wonder why no notice of your email was taken, he acknowledged my comments on the book's printed signature as if it was new information and that he had not heard it before.

I have no idea. I replied at once (11 April) and had no indication that my e-mail wasn't delivered. Maybe it was felt that the point about the signature was still open to question. I didn't question that the copy had association value.

Wayne
4 May, 2013
2013-5-4 3:26:00 PM UTC
Just out of interest, since Trotter mentions copyright: I understand when letters are bought & sold on, although the physical letter itself is the property of whoever bought it, the content still resides (is still "owned" in copyright terms) with the author of the letter; in respect to publishing it. Is this still the case when the original recipient of the letter still owns it? i.e. in this case. I'm sure it does, but for a second it seemed odd when I considered it.

BH
4 May, 2013
2013-5-4 4:54:01 PM UTC
"Is this still the case when the original recipient of the letter still owns it?"

The Tolkien Estate owns the rights to anything he wrote, regardless of who possesses the letter.
16 May, 2013
2013-5-16 5:29:01 PM UTC
The item fetched 1150 euros.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us