Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

3 May, 2013 (edited)
2013-5-3 6:06:53 AM UTC
o dear o dear
either misled or misleading?
Re the fee - sorry what a scam . So you pay €50 just to get chance to bid. Even if it was a 'real sig I wouldnt pay to sign up.
I know some will say it will help with society funds but €50 - £40 come on that is mad isnt it
3 May, 2013 (edited)
2013-5-3 6:16:12 AM UTC
further note: check out this link :
http://www.scealeilebooks.ie/blog/?p=99

Not sure if this has been added/changed since initial posting but they admit it is a facs signature. So hang on why would i want to pay €50 to bid on a book i could pick up for not much more on ebay ?!??
3 May, 2013
2013-5-3 3:46:29 PM UTC
It does seem that much of the Burren Tolkien Society page has been updated since yesterday to include Facsimile in the wording. Still, I am sure they have some people registered to bid who thought it was real at first. I am sure they will make more or the registration to bid than they will on the actual book.
3 May, 2013
2013-5-3 5:29:58 PM UTC

JonClark wrote:
It does seem that much of the Burren Tolkien Society page has been updated since yesterday to include Facsimile in the wording. Still, I am sure they have some people registered to bid who thought it was real at first. I am sure they will make more or the registration to bid than they will on the actual book.

I was sent an email today, stating that they going to update the website, and it looks like they have done that.

I don't think the auction will be very successful, as has been pointed out, plenty of these books are available on the secondary market and probably in better condition.

This book was given by Tolkien but he did not sign it, what an opportunity lost. I wonder if this was because the receiver of the book thought Tolkien had signed it.
3 May, 2013
2013-5-3 6:32:48 PM UTC
I believe the gent said he was studying at Oxford in the sixties, when he attended lectures by Tolkien. We know that JRR retired in 1959, but I've heard or read that he stood in for his successor now and again.
3 May, 2013
2013-5-3 6:35:59 PM UTC
Something that makes me spit feathers is that Mr Curtin - whom the Irish Sun newspaper calls 'a leading expert' - says that Tolkien based his book on Ireland, but had to tone down the Irishness so as not to upset the sensibilities of his predominently English readers. And that he'd admitted the irish connections later in life.

Balls.
3 May, 2013
2013-5-3 6:36:22 PM UTC

garm wrote:
I believe the gent said he was studying at Oxford in the sixties, when he attended lectures by Tolkien. We know that JRR retired in 1959, but I've heard or read that he stood in for his successor now and again.

Interesting, so getting the book from Tolkien may also not be true.

"Oh what a tangled web we weave,
When first we practise to deceive!
"
Sir Walter Scott, Marmion, Canto vi. Stanza 17.
3 May, 2013
2013-5-3 6:39:59 PM UTC

garm wrote:
Something that makes me spit feathers is that Mr Curtin - whom the Irish Sun newspaper calls 'a leading expert' - says that Tolkien based his book on Ireland, but had to tone down the Irishness so as not to upset the sensibilities of his predominently English readers. And that he'd admitted the irish connections later in life.

Balls.

I agree, complete rubbish, you only need to do some cursory reading of Tolkien, Letters shows this quite well, to see this is wrong.
3 May, 2013 (edited)
2013-5-3 6:47:01 PM UTC
In one post, the Burren Tolkien Society repeat almost verbatim part of a letter which Tolkien wrote to his grandson about Ireland, as published in Scull & hammond Vol.II under 'Ireland'. They give the name of the grandson as 'George Christopher'. Despite the fact that the book they were copying from actually gives the correct name!

Edit: Page 431 of the Reader's Guide

Trotter
3 May, 2013 (edited)
2013-5-3 7:16:05 PM UTC
Oh, and Tolkien might have gotten the idea of Gollum from a cave in Ireland. Which he didn't visit till 1949. And The Hobbit was published in... 1933. I quote:

"For many years now there has been words written about the character of Gollum who appears in 'The Hobbit' book published in 1933 but whom I'm told only gets a more developed persona in 'The Lord of the Rings'.

The Burren is home to the largest cave system in Ireland... It comprises of 15 miles of underground passages. This entrance is called Pol na gColm (translated from the Irish as the Hole of Gollum). The 'Book of the Burren' by Ann Korff, says 'Gollum' in Irish means 'rock dove'.. Of course the other coincidence is that rock doves make a guttural sound, same as Gollum in the book. "

see here: http://www.worldirish.com/story/30506 ... 3-reasons-why-it-might-be
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us