Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

2 Aug, 2013 (edited)
2013-8-2 10:51:57 AM UTC
The second one, you post Urulókë --that's just J.R.R.T. A Film Portrait of J.R.R. Tolkien is it not? Did it have a different title in the US or something? I'm pretty annoyed The Tolkien Estate hasn't re-released this on DVD & have left it for people to post up on YouTube. That said, I've actually never (altho' I haven't looked very hard) seen the whole thing posted, only clips of various CT sections.

Immense documentary. The only one worth having surely?

BH
2 Aug, 2013
2013-8-2 11:10:55 AM UTC
I'm actually just going to watch the whole thing right now; it's so damn good!

You know, you see a lot of Tolkien documentaries, or documentaries on fiction & fantasy in general --but I'm staggered as to why they don't just throw this one on. Christopher sums up everything you could possibly say in support/defence of Tolkien's literary output (&, in part, of fantastic literature generally); giving as in-depth an explanation as you're likely to find of Tolkien's work. It's a great, great production.

BH
2 Aug, 2013
2013-8-2 5:46:11 PM UTC
You are correct, that second one is "A Film Portrait" and I have updated my text in that post accordingly. I took a quick peek at Amazon.com and it appears that this was released on DVD in Japan (not at all sure if legitimately) but there are copies available for staggering prices as seen below (approx $4000.00 for posterity).

2 Aug, 2013 (edited)
2013-8-2 6:01:47 PM UTC
Khamûl will appreciate this awesome Amazon description of the DVD

https://www.amazon.com/J-R-R-Tolkien-A ... collsguid-20&linkCode=osi

Actors: J.R.R. Tolkien, Judy Dench
Format: Color, NTSC
Language: English

This captivating biography has been made with the full support and co-operation of The J.R.R. Tolkien Estate Limited, and his surviving children, Priscilla, John and Christopher all contribute intimate memories of their father. Richly illustrated with Tolkien’s own drawings and photographs from the family album, this film also features Her Majesty Queen Margrethe of Denmark—who, as a young Princess, was fascinated by Tolkien’s stories and wrote to him enclosing her illustrations in appreciation. Narrated by Dame Judy Dench.

On the VHS tape Dame Judy narrates in her native tongue but surprisingly the Japanese DVD of this is only in Japanese Audio, and probably not Dame Judy doing the audio.

I also love the bookshop at the start of the program, shrink-wrapped John Howe box-sets, wonderful

If anyone wants to buy my copy for $4000 then go ahead.

Tolkien in Oxford (labelled as BBC: In Their Own Words) is also worth watching, first of the videos on the playlist.
2 Aug, 2013
2013-8-2 6:24:05 PM UTC
Thanks for that note on the audio! I had just ordered a copy from amazon.co.jp (under $40 including shipping to the USA) to see what it had on it, but since I speak no Japanese I think I will cancel the order for now.

http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/switch-lan ... ng?ie=UTF8&language=en_JP
2 Aug, 2013
2013-8-2 8:30:56 PM UTC
You have to wonder in what mental state someone would have to be to pay $5,000 for a documentary that has has just been posted, in full, on this site; in English. Or better still, what on earth the seller thinks is the purpose in listing at such a price. We laugh at poor old eBay, but private sellers on Amazon are ten times worse. Utterly moronic. I mean, even if this wasn't available online, you could get your video put on to DVD for a peanuts.

I think everyone here on TCG should boycott Amazon on the grounds that it's mocking book collectors; from Luxembourg, or wherever it's based... Go on!, Khamûl has --why don't you?

BH
2 Aug, 2013
2013-8-2 10:45:20 PM UTC
Ha! Seems like I should take the trouble then to send my Film Portrait to one of those VHS-to-DVD services. It's been ages since I had a VHS player, and I became a bit curious to watch it now (and I would save some $3980.00!).
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us