Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

5 Aug, 2013
2013-8-5 8:19:59 PM UTC
I am by no means an expert on copyright (far from it, I'd say), but I have tried to understand — or at least read — the Danish copyright law, which is what normally applies to myself.

Under that law, I can legally make an analogue copy of a work that I have legal access to, e.g. photocopy parts of a book, for my own private use. Thus, even if I had a copy of the relevant issue of The Oxford Magazine, I would not, as I understand it, be allowed to create a copy for you.

On the other hand it is my impression (and I emphasize that this is an impression only) that there is a long tradition in academic / scholarly circles of helping others with photocopies of hard-to-get works. If this impression is correct, there might be some provisions for limited copies for research purposes, though I don't know these (another possibility is of course that it is instead a silent agreement by which everybody wink at a practice which, though not entirely legal, still benefits everybody).

Not very helpful, I'm afraid, but then I am in any case not in a position to help you with the poem, since I don't have any copy of it myself.
5 Aug, 2013
2013-8-5 9:53:56 PM UTC
Here is a good resource from the US Copyright Office talking about Fair Use and Educators/teachers/libraries and making copies. It does not try to call out what is right or wrong, only explain the laws as they currently stand and what implications that may have for teachers, etc.

http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ21.pdf

My reading of it is that there are definitely circumstances (like the request make at the start of this thread) where making a copy for individual study is considered acceptable. Without having the knowledge to hold an informed legal opinion one way or another myself, I can say that I have provided photocopies of rare materials to others when there is really no other method for them to purchase something they need for their studies.

With that in mind, though, I will definitely remove any copyrighted materials from TCG (forums, Guide wiki, or elsewhere) as there is a major difference between making a hard copy for personal study purposes and publishing something online.
5 Aug, 2013
2013-8-5 10:09:20 PM UTC
You'd better get that YouTube clip of A Film Portrait (that you posted in another thread) taken down then! (--thanks for letting me watch it first though! )

BH
5 Aug, 2013
2013-8-5 10:14:37 PM UTC
That's a good point, Khamûl.

I have been fairly rigorous on notifying the estate/HC about online infringements for written materials, but didn't even blink on the video. Different rights holders, but they should have the opportunity to send the takedown notice to YouTube if they aren't already aware.
5 Aug, 2013
2013-8-5 11:01:53 PM UTC
Generally speaking, those engaged in academic research contact their library rather than asking folk to post copyrighted material on the net. I did.
5 Aug, 2013
2013-8-5 11:33:34 PM UTC
Generally speaking, those engaged in academic research contact their library rather than asking folk to post copyrighted material on the net.

Good advice garm.

It is possible Eduardo already did this and failed - the likelihood of his library in Brazil having this publication (or an interlibrary loan agreement with an international library) seems slim to me.
6 Aug, 2013
2013-8-6 1:19:38 AM UTC
I tried to contact the University of Oxford. But got no result. Then I discovered that the 'Oxford Magazine' have its own website then I sent another email today. But I think it is dificult.

The bibliography in Brazil on Tolkien is very small. Are only about 60 books. As you can see in the ebook that I did with the list of all books published here:http://tolkienbrasil.com/noticias/sob ... cacoes-tolkien-no-brasil/

I'm doing an analysis of Tolkien's poems and it is not my intention to publish online or in print work anything. Is a academic seminar on literature.

The first academic studies of Tolkien's books in Brazil began around 2005. And I have always encouraged this kind of work here, since Tolkien's books are not considered 'academic' properly, but I think that could be change.

I did not think to contact the Tolkien Estate to provide me with the poem. But hopefully some other academic or even Oxford can provide me this poem.
6 Aug, 2013
2013-8-6 9:08:20 AM UTC
Thank you for the explanation and the link, Urulókë. I suspected that this might be so, but in Denmark this situation seems to be handled outside the law text of the main copyright law.

One thing to consider also is the independent scholars who do not have access to an academic library (not all academic libraries will do interlibrary loan — particularly of rare books — to public libraries).

The field of Tolkien studies in fact have very many such independent scholars without an academic affiliation, just as there are a number of private collectors whose collections are better supplied than most academic libraries, so there might more often be a call for this kind of help.

I do hope that someone with a copy of the poem can make a photocopy and send to Eduardo.
6 Aug, 2013
2013-8-6 7:18:44 PM UTC
Finally I got the document. And really is a key of my work.

I thank you all for commentaries and answers about my ask.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us