Khamûl
13 hours 23 minutes ago

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Facsimile Dustjackets
Not too shy to talk
Group:
Shirefolk
First, hello to everybody, new Tolkien collector here :)

A huge fan of Tolkien work, it just had to happen :P

Could you please help me with my first big problem ( and probably stupid question). How can I recognise fascimile dust jacket from the original one? How can I know it is original and not fascimile without looking on the microscope? I would like to collect and preserve some old Tolkien books but I don't want to be cheated.

Thanks to all, and I am glad to join your team :)

Cheers,

Lokki

Posted on: 2013/10/11 10:43

Edited by Khamûl on 2013/10/11 12:09:00

Facsimile Dustjackets
Thain
From California, USA
Group:
Thain
Shirefolk
Fellowship
New member Lokki had a question in another thread, I am moving it here so it does not get lost. Good question Lokki, and welcome to TCG!

I have not bought any facsimile dustjackets myself, but from information I have gathered from various sources -

There are some "professional" replacements in circulation, and purchasable by the person who prints them up. Those are clearly marked on the flap as a facsimile.

There may be some less-than-honest reprints out there that do not indicate that they are facsimiles. Anyone run across those and have some clues as to how to identify them when seen alone? They will be on different paper stock and ink quality when compared side-by-side, but I think it is a very fair question to ask if they are identifiable when seen alone.

Posted on: 2013/10/11 12:07

Edited by Urulöké on 2013/10/11 12:18:39

Re: Facsimile Dustjackets
Shirrif
From Scotland
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif
Well...

To be honest, I don't see that many auctions/listings out there deliberately trying to defraud you. Even from online photos it's pretty obvious if a set of jackets are facsimile ones, or not e.g. they may be in a condition totally inconsistent with that of the books (i.e. they're in wonderful condition, but the books are battered); or, pretty simply, they are just too clean, or too white. Most sellers mention that jackets are facsimile, even if they do bury this in a footnote to their auction. If they don't mention it, it's mis-selling --& you can pretty easily raise a dispute after paying or receiving anyway. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

BH

Posted on: 2013/10/11 12:25

Edited by Khamûl on 2013/10/12 10:25:30
Edited by Khamûl on 2013/10/12 10:26:11
Edited by Khamûl on 2013/10/12 10:28:52

Not too shy to talk
Group:
Shirefolk
Thank you very much for your warm welcome and answers!!! :)

It looks to me that spotting a fascimile dust jacket is pretty hard thing to do for a beginner like me ( especially if a forger tries to make it look older).
As i am starting to build up my own collection I really want to keep and guard Tolkien originals and not get cheated :)
I am already reading how to recognise it on light microscope which I have at home and with magnifying lenses, there are some good articles on the net :)
However, still researching, so wanted to hear from experts :)

Posted on: 2013/10/11 13:02

Home away from home
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Hi and welcome
Some good advice already which i agree with. Once you have seen the real thing the touch and feel is different. The most common copy jackets are for Lord of Rings and Hobbit firsts although there are some for other titles ie Farmer Giles readily available.

This forum is a good source of info and i would say if in doubt ask.

Generally though Khamul is right and it would be costly and timely to reproduce a jacket to a standard to get it by many people. I would say go with your gut, stick to reputable sellers and if its too good a deal think twice.
Hope helps - good luck in your purchases

Posted on: 2013/10/11 13:32

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You can vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.