-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

27 Jan, 2017
2017-1-27 2:36:11 AM UTC
Thanks
27 Jan, 2017
2017-1-27 8:45:05 AM UTC

Urulöké wrote:
I agree with you St. Troy, the pictured books you specifically asked about are (from what I can tell in the photo) trade editions with the dustjackets removed.

There have been deluxe editions issued for the HoMe volumes, see here: http://www.tolkienbooks.net/php/gallery.php?subsection=81

The other volumes that you asked about have not had deluxe editions put out by HarperCollins.

That's correct. The other books in the images are just regular trade editions without jackets. I've seen a couple of people on the interwebs do this to create the illusion of them being matching books, which - of course - they are not.
27 Jan, 2017
2017-1-27 10:23:43 PM UTC
Wouldn't it be nice if HC did a release of the three HOME books in the style of the new deluxe editions with the colour slip cases? Oh, and the beautiful gold foil motifs on the front board and cover. How lovely would that be!

I wonder if this can be suggested to HC :)
28 Jan, 2017
2017-1-28 6:45:34 PM UTC
As long as they were printed to the same quality as the older deluxe editions...
28 Jan, 2017
2017-1-28 10:50:31 PM UTC
I'm pretty ambivalent about HoME coming as a current-format deluxe edition. If it was not India paper, it would basically just be the standard 3 volume with slightly different paper covering the boards, and presumably costing more money. I can't see them doing India paper again, due to cost. But if they did do an india paper version that was not printed in China, I'd probably consider buying it. Will not be touching any more deluxes printed in China after Kullervo.
29 Jan, 2017
2017-1-29 4:42:15 AM UTC

Stu wrote:
If it was not India paper, it would basically just be the standard 3 volume with slightly different paper covering the boards, and presumably costing more money.

But isn't that what all the current deluxe editions are anyway? Just different presentation and no new/special/exclusive content? I don't think any of the new deluxe editions add anything extra compared to other paperback and hardcover editions, e.g., Silmarillion, Hobbit, COH. Probably LOTR has those two Book Of Marzabul scans, but that hardly qualifies as special content imo.

That said, I do agree with you about the China printings. I sincerely hope the Beren and Luthien deluxe edition will not be crappy quality.
29 Jan, 2017
2017-1-29 6:18:56 AM UTC

Earl wrote:

Stu wrote:
If it was not India paper, it would basically just be the standard 3 volume with slightly different paper covering the boards, and presumably costing more money.

But isn't that what all the current deluxe editions are anyway? Just different presentation and no new/special/exclusive content? I don't think any of the new deluxe editions add anything extra compared to other paperback and hardcover editions, e.g., Silmarillion, Hobbit, COH. Probably LOTR has those two Book Of Marzabul scans, but that hardly qualifies as special content imo.

That said, I do agree with you about the China printings. I sincerely hope the Beren and Luthien deluxe edition will not be crappy quality.

No, I'm not talking about extra content. There has never been any special content on the deluxe editions. I'm just pointing out that the quality of the trade hardack HoME is already more or less on a par with the deluxe editions (assuming recent prints haven't gone down hill), so a deluxe version would be not much different than taking a standard edition and throwing away the dustjacket. I can't personally see the point. The deluxe editons would need to be better than they typically are or the trade edition would need to be worse than they are for it to (IMHO) be a worthwhile exercise.
29 Jan, 2017
2017-1-29 7:10:32 AM UTC
Ah now I get what you're saying. I have been holding off purchasing the HOME Collector's Edition set for a while, but I might just bite the bullet one of these months. I have the first 6 books that I purchased individually, and I've been taking my time to go through them, which is why I haven't been too compelled to get the Collector's Set until now.
2 Feb, 2017
2017-2-2 7:17:23 PM UTC
I had intended to gradually acquire these (have none as yet) but am now considering picking up the non-deluxe HC hardcovers (for example, this: http://www.tolkien.co.uk/product/9780 ... e+Children+of+H%C3%BArin+) instead (as they have the same illustrations (I think) and cost may become an issue given my limited budget, which I'm also spreading across some Folio Society and Cemetery Dance books).

My question, particularly for anyone who owns (or is otherwise as knowledgeable) both the deluxe and non-deluxe of any of these titles: CoH, LoSaG, UT, TFoA, TFtPR, SoK, is:

How do the books (with dust jackets removed) compare visually to the deluxe in design and material (of the cover, spine, and interior (paper quality and illustrations))? Other than the obvious absence of a slipcase, what are the differences?

If anyone can post photos of the non-deluxes (without dust jackets, as those images are widely available), that would be a big help.

Thanks!
2 Feb, 2017
2017-2-2 10:18:14 PM UTC
From memory, they aren't a great match. The JRRT logo has a circle around it and is smaller. If you look at any of the publicity photos for the deluxe Sigurd and Gudrun, they actually show the standard edition in s deluxe slipcase, so you can see what it looks like from that.

http://www.tolkien.co.uk/product/9780 ... Legend+of+Sigurd+and+Gudrún+
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us