Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

1 Mar, 2014
2014-3-1 12:29:35 PM UTC
Interesting, but I prefer collect book published in UK.
1 Mar, 2014
2014-3-1 12:47:31 PM UTC
Our guess would be that this is a copy of the 2nd printing of the Canadian edition. Its price was $34.95 (thanks for including an image of the front flap!). But we don't have a copy of this to verify.

Wayne & Christina
1 Mar, 2014
2014-3-1 1:06:42 PM UTC
Interesting Wayne & Christina.

I think you are rigth. According the price in dollar tell us that is a canadian book: "First Canadian printing (original printed price of $34.95 on the front flap, "1" constitutes the number line)". But in case of my book this is the 2 printing.

https://affiliates.abebooks.com/c/9724 ... children%252Bof%252Bhurin
1 Mar, 2014
2014-3-1 1:07:34 PM UTC
But my question came again. are there others prints of the first edition UK?
2 Mar, 2014 (edited)
2014-3-2 1:00:01 AM UTC

tolkienbrasil wrote:
Interesting, but I prefer collect book published in UK.

But the book that you show the picture of appears to be a CAD Dollar denominated version, printed in the USA? - I'm confused as to why you collect that as clearly it isn't of UK origin? I'd be very surprised if the 2nd impression sold in the UK was printed in the USA (happy to be proven wrong!).

The Au/NZ versions are published by HarperCollins (UK), they just printed them in different places to save on distribution costs (and possibly time) - which means there are minor variations as the printers would have had slightly different materials available to them. Same situation as the Canadian edition that you appear to have.
2 Mar, 2014 (edited)
2014-3-2 1:07:49 AM UTC

tolkienbrasil wrote:
But my question came again. are there others prints of the first edition UK?

I have definitely seen a 3rd impression in Australia, but it was a long time ago. So far as I remember it was a regular printed-in-the-UK copy. I think the asian printing for our market was only done for the 1st impression (probably to assist with the worldwide simultaneous release).

[Edit: According to tolkienbooks.net, there are at least 12 impressions.]
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us