Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

22 Apr, 2007
2007-4-22 5:55:19 AM UTC
Hi Trotter,

a Deluxe bookplated book has shown up on eBay now - looks to be from the family that was in front of you in line. Here is a quote from their auction: "only the first 8 people managed to get deluxe with book plate as they were put into books by staff at waterstones by mistake once in they could not remove so they had to sell like that so i was verry lucky"

Any feel for how many deluxe copies got bookplates from when you were there? The above quote feels mostly like hyperbole to get a higher eBay price to me.
22 Apr, 2007
2007-4-22 6:44:52 AM UTC
Rowns,

They were right in front of me in the queue, I am actually in the picture of the book signing at the top right at the back of the picture.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dl ... dexURL=4#ebayphotohosting

This is the family that bought at least one copy each of both books and I think there were five of them.

Waterstone's may have made a 'mistake' in putting the bookplates in the Deluxe Version, and this would explain why there are no US Deluxe copies.

Waterstones had no books with the bookplates in, Waterstone's staff inserted them. If I take what they have said as being true, then they had not realised when I passed that they should not put bookplates in both books, so you are looking at a lot more than eight books.

So two possibilities.

1 - Waterstone's made a mistake, probably 20-30 Deluxe copies with bookplates exist.
2 - They did not make a mistake, I still think they had about 200 bookplates in total and I would guess 1/3 went into the Deluxe books, about 65 books.
26 Apr, 2007
2007-4-26 7:09:03 PM UTC
I am impressed with the latest copy on Ebay from the family in front of me in the queue at Waterstones, though disappointed that they did not ask for my autograph (they seem to have everybody else who was there)

8 times signed Children of Hurin on Ebay

They have also included the bill for what they bought, 4 x Trade, 5 x Deluxe. I hope they would keep at least one copy of each, so these are probably the last for sale from them.

They could however, have bought five Trade copies so I don't know why they only got four.
26 Apr, 2007
2007-4-26 8:02:56 PM UTC
That auction is nuts! Any guesses for how high that will go? I like the Nasmith drawing a lot. I'm not sure if it belongs in this book, but I would not complain!
26 Apr, 2007
2007-4-26 11:49:42 PM UTC
It is interesting Nasmith added that, though it is a wonderful little sketch. Beleg meets Gollum; sounds like a bad piece of fanfic!

I bet that will reach £500 at least before the 9 days are up.
3 May, 2007
2007-5-3 11:56:37 AM UTC
Beren has posted a very interesting article on this subject The Children of Hurin facts and figures , which seems to agree in most matters with this thread. However, the main difference appears to be US Deluxe Editions with bookplates with Beren's article stating that these were sold in NY.

However, it appears that the US Deluxe copy has still not been seen in the wild.

So I have two questions, does anyone yet have a US Deluxe Copy and if not were UK Deluxe Copies sold in New York?
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us