Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

23 Nov, 2014
2014-11-23 1:55:47 PM UTC
[I have merged Stu's recent 1992 HarperCollins Illustrated LOTR Boxed Set thread (see running title of post #2 in this thread)
with Trotter's older (June 2014) thread
Alan Lee Illustrated Lord of the Rings boxset (which nobody had responded to) --BH]
23 Nov, 2014
2014-11-23 6:04:21 PM UTC
23 Nov, 2014
2014-11-23 10:17:40 PM UTC

Deagol wrote:
TolkienBooks.net updated

Splendid. Out of interest, what criteria did you apply to determine this as being a different state of the standard HC set, rather than just a different boxed set all together (as per the distinct Ted Smart/Book People entries for LOTR paperback boxed sets in tolkiebbooks.net)?
24 Nov, 2014
2014-11-24 4:27:25 PM UTC
Well the primary criterium this time was time and effort involved

A separate ISBN for the set would usually generate a new entry - as was the case for the Book People--Geoff Taylor cover art set.

I have merged entries in the past, but there are a few inconsistencies waiting for me to sort out - like the green slipcase Ted Smart H+LR set.

I went way overboard on variations in the first edition LR boxed sets, but that was just me getting a bit carried away.
24 Nov, 2014
2014-11-24 10:48:33 PM UTC

Deagol wrote:
Well the primary criterium this time was time and effort involved

A separate ISBN for the set would usually generate a new entry - as was the case for the Book People--Geoff Taylor cover art set.

I have merged entries in the past, but there are a few inconsistencies waiting for me to sort out - like the green slipcase Ted Smart H+LR set.

I went way overboard on variations in the first edition LR boxed sets, but that was just me getting a bit carried away.

I'm all for consolidation, as if there were two entries on tolkienbooks.net, I'd then feel the need to try and seek out the other one (and I'm not even a "completeist"). You see the power you wield?
27 Nov, 2014
2014-11-27 10:06:56 PM UTC
Another Encore set in Australia. Very overpriced, though, especially given the box has torn. And I'm not sure that laying it out on the tarmac to photograph it is the best idea...

eBay Item #121500270175
14 Feb, 2021
2021-2-14 2:01:36 PM UTC
Another Encore box set, box looks in pretty bad shape

This site uses affiliate links for which we may be compensated
Seller: tr-8168
(1067)
Ended Mar 2, 2021
This item ended more than 90 days ago
14 Feb, 2021
2021-2-14 3:54:36 PM UTC
So, just so I can get this straight...there are two variants of the HarperCollins Boxset, the HC proper and this Encore set.

There are also two variants of the HoughtonMifflin set, one with the silver stamping on the slipcase and one without it.

I have the HoughtonMifflin set without the silver stamping on the slipcase.
14 Feb, 2021
2021-2-14 5:59:38 PM UTC

Trotter wrote:

Another Encore box set, box looks in pretty bad shape

This ad has been online for a very long time, to my knowledge.

If that can help estimate its value, I recently bought an US edition (the one with the silver stamping on the slipcase) in great condition for £ 125 in BIN. I think I got a good deal
14 Feb, 2021
2021-2-14 6:12:15 PM UTC

Mr. Underhill wrote:

So, just so I can get this straight...there are two variants of the HarperCollins Boxset, the HC proper and this Encore set.

There are also two variants of the HoughtonMifflin set, one with the silver stamping on the slipcase and one without it.

I have the HoughtonMifflin set without the silver stamping on the slipcase.

Is the HM one without stamping a legitimate version? I only ever saw one version (for sale from Tolkien Book Shelf) and I thought it was an aftermarket (or maybe prototype) slipcase. It has no markings at all, IIRC.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us