Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

17 Nov, 2014
2014-11-17 8:22:54 PM UTC

Khamûl wrote:
Interesting. I have a vague memory of this being mentioned before, perhaps by you? I have the normal HC boxset myself...

BH

There is an old thread where Trotter asks essentially the same question (I'd missed it at the time it was posted).

It will be interesting to see which version my set turns out to be, but I'm betting on it having the "Encore" text. If this is the case, I'd definitely be suspicious about there being a domestic and export version, as my set was sourced on ebay.com.au (for the princely sum of AU $25), and both other Encore sets I know of were also from sellers outside the UK.
18 Nov, 2014
2014-11-18 6:51:34 AM UTC
I would be interested to know if you do get an Encore box, I noted some other differences to the standard HarperCollins box set as well.

https://www.tolkienguide.com/modules/n ... ewtopic.php?topic_id=2232
18 Nov, 2014 (edited)
2014-11-18 7:04:08 AM UTC

Trotter wrote:
I would be interested to know if you do get an Encore box, I noted some other differences to the standard HarperCollins box set as well.

https://www.tolkienguide.com/modules/n ... ewtopic.php?topic_id=2232

I should know for sure in a few days. The set is actually heading over to Perth in Western Australia at the moment, and one of my friends will be looking after it until he visits NZ again next year. I've asked him to open the package and email me photos when he receives it, so I can leave buyer feedback and satisfy curiosity as to which version it is.

Yep, mine is the Encore box, as expected.

I've attached pictures of the the box. I suspect the runes will differ from your version, Trotter?

228_5476715767387.jpg 2129X1239 px
18 Nov, 2014 (edited)
2014-11-18 7:31:38 AM UTC
I think I should clarify this, as it is not the Runes, that I noticed were different, but the area with the Elvish letters in the Centenary circle on the back of the box.

The 'Encore' box has four very clearly defined circles around the elvish lettering. The HarperCollins set has appears to have only have two circles around the lettering as the gap is very tiny between some of the circles.

I asked HarperCollins about Encore.

"I believe Encore was a mail order label (a bookclub, not HarperCollins imprint) and assume that a small batch of boxes was run on for them as a one-off special sale. I don’t have any records as to how many, I’m afraid. I assume the books themselves are identical to the trade edition."

10_546af5dae15a1.jpg 312X415 px

10_546af70aa22b4.jpg 179X190 px
18 Nov, 2014 (edited)
2014-11-18 9:52:47 PM UTC

Trotter wrote:

I asked HarperCollins about Encore.

"I believe Encore was a mail order label (a bookclub, not HarperCollins imprint) and assume that a small batch of boxes was run on for them as a one-off special sale. I don’t have any records as to how many, I’m afraid. I assume the books themselves are identical to the trade edition."

Thanks for clarifying that with HC, Trotter. Mystery solved.

Will need to keep an eye on them (as they occasionally come up for sale) to see which seems to be most common. There is a set on Abe in NSW (Australia) which is also an Encore version.

(Of course, Deagol will now need to update Tolkienbooks.net with an extra entry.)..
23 Nov, 2014
2014-11-23 1:55:47 PM UTC
[I have merged Stu's recent 1992 HarperCollins Illustrated LOTR Boxed Set thread (see running title of post #2 in this thread)
with Trotter's older (June 2014) thread
Alan Lee Illustrated Lord of the Rings boxset (which nobody had responded to) --BH]
23 Nov, 2014
2014-11-23 6:04:21 PM UTC
23 Nov, 2014
2014-11-23 10:17:40 PM UTC

Deagol wrote:
TolkienBooks.net updated

Splendid. Out of interest, what criteria did you apply to determine this as being a different state of the standard HC set, rather than just a different boxed set all together (as per the distinct Ted Smart/Book People entries for LOTR paperback boxed sets in tolkiebbooks.net)?
24 Nov, 2014
2014-11-24 4:27:25 PM UTC
Well the primary criterium this time was time and effort involved

A separate ISBN for the set would usually generate a new entry - as was the case for the Book People--Geoff Taylor cover art set.

I have merged entries in the past, but there are a few inconsistencies waiting for me to sort out - like the green slipcase Ted Smart H+LR set.

I went way overboard on variations in the first edition LR boxed sets, but that was just me getting a bit carried away.
24 Nov, 2014
2014-11-24 10:48:33 PM UTC

Deagol wrote:
Well the primary criterium this time was time and effort involved

A separate ISBN for the set would usually generate a new entry - as was the case for the Book People--Geoff Taylor cover art set.

I have merged entries in the past, but there are a few inconsistencies waiting for me to sort out - like the green slipcase Ted Smart H+LR set.

I went way overboard on variations in the first edition LR boxed sets, but that was just me getting a bit carried away.

I'm all for consolidation, as if there were two entries on tolkienbooks.net, I'd then feel the need to try and seek out the other one (and I'm not even a "completeist"). You see the power you wield?
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us