(1) 2 3 4 »

Recommendations for Tolkien facsimile dust jackets
Shirrif
From Essex, England
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif
I am looking for companies that can produce exceptional facsimile dust jackets for Tolkien books.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Posted on: 6/28 4:03:42

Re: Recommendations for Tolkien facsimile dust jackets
Home away from home
From Queenstown, New Zealand
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship

Trotter wrote:
I am looking for companies that can produce exceptional facsimile dust jackets for Tolkien books.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

I'm wondering if the best thing is to find a decent local printing firm with good equipment and a good selection of paper stock, and then just build the source file for the jacket yourself (using scans, photos, etc -- as available). I've mulled this over myself a few times, and I think most of the work is in the creation of an accurate electronic representation of the jacket, which may be quite time consuming, depending on what you have to base it on (assuming you don't just have a perfect example to duplicate and need to do some retouching).

I'm working on the assumption that you want to re-jacket rare stuff, rather than books for which facsimile jackets are already readily available?

Posted on: 6/28 14:45:01

Just can't stay away
Group:
Shirefolk
I used an online service to procure facsimile jackets for a first edition houghton mifflin set of Lord of the Rings. The jackets were not cheap (> $20 apiece), but were good quality reproductions. The vendor can be easily located with google.

Posted on: 6/28 16:11:59

Edited by Red on 2014/6/30 11:09:44

Home away from home
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Guess answer depends on what you are after as Stu mentioned.

I have always used Mark Terry
http://www.facsimiledustjackets.com/cgi-bin/fdj455/index.html

For first impressions of better know books. choice is limited but quality good and not OTT postage from US to UK.

I did enquire once re getting more unusual copies privately as it were. Firstly you obvious need a good copy to scan and assuming you dont own it that may prove problematic and then of course the costs to print just a few even are high making it in my opinion just not worth it

Which ones are you after?

Posted on: 6/29 0:45:07

Shirrif
From Scotland
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif
Having dealt with Mark Terry at Facsimile Dust Jackets L.L.C. I would recommend him if he has the jacket(s) your after. It might be worth enquiring if you don't see the DJ you're after though, as Mark has only a fraction of his scanned jackets up on his site. The last time I emailed him I think he said he had about 35,000-40,000 scanned jackets & only about 8,000-10,000 listed online. He travels the world in search of the best examples to scan, so I've no doubt, if we're talking Tolkien, he's scanned some of the best examples surviving.

I've no real idea of the technical quality of his reproductions (he went into a lot of detail regarding paper stock & scanning & printing technology), but the one I received was excellent. Also worth noting is that his facsimile jackets are marked as such; so they'll not be mistaken for well preserved originals. I liked that he did that, & had done for the very beginning.

BH

Posted on: 6/29 2:12:05

(1) 2 3 4 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You can vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.