Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

4 Jul, 2014
2014-7-4 4:07:29 PM UTC
Thanks Trotter for the heads up. I'll be ordering a copy. Awesome find!
4 Jul, 2014
2014-7-4 4:34:23 PM UTC
The letter of 6 January 1969 was evidently the third of the three letters from Tolkien to Paula Iley sold at Christie's London on 23 November 1998 (http://www.christies.com/lotfinder/lo ... .aspx?intobjectid=1369237). The auction listing identified only two of them, but quoted part of the text of the 1969 letter page we can now read, and had a different illustration of overlapping letters.

We'll try to order a copy of the magazine too, though we see that the online order form isn't set up to handle U.S. postal address formats straightforwardly.

Wayne & Christina
6 Jul, 2014
2014-7-6 12:59:12 PM UTC
Thanks for the heads-up. Getting a copy, too!
6 Jul, 2014
2014-7-6 1:19:22 PM UTC
Me too!

- wellinghall
6 Jul, 2014
2014-7-6 3:27:19 PM UTC
Interesting; thanks for posting Trotter.

I'm always curious as to what permissions are sought or given for publishing such things. I think it's been mentioned here before, in regard to the publishing of extracts only & also for auction houses to show letter(s) content simply by the fact that they've photographed them; the content of Tolkien's letters, regardless of who owns them, resides, from a copyright perspective, with the Tolkien Estate; does it not? Would permission have been sought here? Or is the content too redacted &/or insignificant? Just curious...

BH
6 Jul, 2014
2014-7-6 10:06:37 PM UTC

Khamûl wrote:
Interesting; thanks for posting Trotter.

I'm always curious as to what permissions are sought or given for publishing such things. I think it's been mentioned here before, in regard to the publishing of extracts only & also for auction houses to show letter(s) content simply by the fact that they've photographed them; the content of Tolkien's letters, regardless of who owns them, resides, from a copyright perspective, with the Tolkien Estate; does it not? Would permission have been sought here? Or is the content too redacted &/or insignificant? Just curious...

BH

Copyright is indeed retained by the Tolkien Estate. Snippets could most likely be posted under the "Fair Use" doctrine, but anything more sizeable (such as printing an entire letter) would certainly require permission.
6 Jul, 2014
2014-7-6 11:01:43 PM UTC
If you look at the scan of the letter, you will see the permission granted by the Tolkien Estate on the right.

Though from a magazine that deals with writing and copyright for writers, then you would expect them to get this right.
7 Jul, 2014
2014-7-7 12:40:43 AM UTC
I've been trying to order a copy through the site, but despite 10 or so tries, I can't get it to accept my order. After I enter my credit card info and hit the button to process the order, it returns to the cart view, and doesn't actually place the order (so far as I can tell).

Had anyone else in the US successfully placed an order?

Thanks,

Carl

(FWIW, using the Safari browser on my Mac)
7 Jul, 2014
2014-7-7 5:13:56 AM UTC
I have had a few members state that they are having issues with the on-line ordering system, I have passed these issues onto the editor for them to look at.
7 Jul, 2014
2014-7-7 8:29:59 AM UTC
I had the same problem, trying to order the issue with Firefox browser. But it worked for me, using Chrome browser, if it can help.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us