Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

11 Extremely Rare Books You’ll Wish You Could Afford

19 Jul, 2014 (edited)
2014-7-19 2:19:47 PM UTC

I like most of them, but number 2 is awesome.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/jennabennaboo ... ish-you-could-afford-t67g

10_53caac9badd3b.jpg 625X406 px
19 Jul, 2014
2014-7-19 8:04:15 PM UTC
welll... that FR didn't come with the set; DM bought it at auction in Jan. last year. It came from a sale of Rayner Unwin's books.
21 Jul, 2014 (edited)
2014-7-21 1:44:25 PM UTC
From the article

"It’s easy to geek out to anything Tolkien. But an original Lord of the Rings 1963 U.K. deluxe set, nestled in Original Pauline Baynes Triptych Slipcase and signed by the master himself. Also in excellent condition for $21,375? There is only one other set of the ‘63 deluxe edition that was signed by Tolkien and it and recently sold for more than $50,000 at the last auction. It’s almost as rare as the ring itself. David Miller is the go-to guy for Lord of the Rings and runs the ultra-niche Tolkien Bookshelf in Newton, Kansas. He started out as a collector (who doesn’t?) and his upgraded for-sale collection has become every Tolkienite’s dream."

garm wrote:
well... that FR didn't come with the set; DM bought it at auction in Jan. last year. It came from a sale of Rayner Unwin's books.

I agree, the $50,000 set is probably from the sale of Pauline Baynes owned editions, but from memory all three were signed by the Professor, not just one as in this case, and I don't think they sold for this much, can anyone clarify?
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us