Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

Mystery Page in 50th Anniv Hobbit I Bought

24 Feb, 2015
2015-2-24 2:21:44 AM UTC

Hi. Maybe someone with a copy or a lot of knowledge can solve my mystery. I just bought a 50th Anniversary Hobbit with no blind-stamp and with the green marbled edges.

I'll try to add pics, but what I found is that the copyright page has been torn out and another pasted in. It isn't the same page pasted back inside, as you can tell by the pics.

Thoughts? Am I missing a page? Does this copyright page not match? I could see what might have happened if the blind-stamp was present. In that case, maybe someone replaced a Book of the Month copyright page. But in this case, I'm at a loss.

Any ideas?

Thanks for your help.

4328_54ebdf1db946f.jpg 960X1280 px

4328_54ebdf2f328c7.jpg 864X1152 px

4328_54ebdf3f51601.jpg 960X1280 px
24 Feb, 2015 (edited)
2015-2-24 9:37:33 AM UTC
Can't imagine the publisher doing such a rough job. I wonder if it was to remove an ex-libris stamp or somesuch. Then again, you would think if someone was trying to hide something, they would do a much tidier job, rather than just ripping a page out.

[Edit: Ignore - wiser and knowledgeable heads prevail :) ]
24 Feb, 2015
2015-2-24 12:11:19 PM UTC
Christina and I have a copy of this too, which I document in the Descriptive Bibliography, p. 63, as "another, presumably later impression [of the Houghton Mifflin 50th anniversary edition] (but simultaneous publication?)". The "H" at the foot of the copyright page, absent from other copies, suggests a later or subsequent printing, and I suppose (at this great distance of time) that I had some evidence that this copy came out at the same time as the others we owned, probably from knowing then when we acquired them. Houghton Mifflin may well have needed multiple printings before publication to meet demand. In our copy, the original title-leaf was similarly removed a little roughly, as shown by the tear at the bottom, but the cancel leaf has been pasted in better, so that the rough stub isn't obvious unless one looks closely.

Wayne
24 Feb, 2015
2015-2-24 3:53:10 PM UTC
Thank you both. Like Stu wrote, it's such a shoddy job that I don't think the book's seller was trying to pull one over on me. The rest of the book is perfectly like new, really sweet considering it's nearly three decades old. So I bet she didn't even look closely enough to notice the cancel leaf.

Which is certainly what it is, thank you Wayne. I had never heard of a cancel leaf until this morning.

Thank you again for solving my mystery.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us