Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

9 Nov, 2015
2015-11-9 6:02:52 PM UTC
I have a laminated first edition Bombadil that I will leave alone - given the discoloration, and general paper quality, I don't think there would be much left beyond a pulpy mess if I tried any sort of removal process.

My own personal opinion is that the dustjacket is better laminated (can still see art clearly and it is protected) but I haven't seen a successful removal yet, so it may actually look better if a good job is done. Either way, I don't think it would be anything near "very good" condition, and thus there's no real benefit to the removal except personal preference for aesthetics.
9 Nov, 2015
2015-11-9 6:06:43 PM UTC
I have a laminated first edition Bombadil that I will leave alone - given the discoloration, and general paper quality, I don't think there would be much left beyond a pulpy mess if I tried any sort of removal process.

My own personal opinion is that the dustjacket is better laminated (can still see art clearly and it is protected) but I haven't seen a successful removal yet, so it may actually look better if a good job is done. Either way, I don't think it would be anything near "very good" condition, and thus there's no real benefit to the removal except personal preference for aesthetics.
9 Nov, 2015
2015-11-9 7:40:13 PM UTC

Urulöké wrote:
Either way, I don't think it would be anything near "very good" condition, and thus there's no real benefit to the removal except personal preference for aesthetics.

That's how I tend to look at it. A laminated book might not be worth much monetarily, but it could still be nice to own. Once the laminate is removed, it might very still well not be worth much monetarily but also no longer be so nice to own, depending on how much damage the removal does.

That said, interested to see any results!
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us