Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

By AHP
Just popping in

Dedication by Priscilla Tolkien?

10 Dec, 2015
2015-12-10 11:53:15 AM UTC

I recently had reason to check my copy of the catalogue of the exhibition 'Drawings by J.R.R. Tolkien' at the Ashmolean Museum in 1976-1977, and noticed a dedication on the half title (for want of a better word) that I had not paid any attention to before. As you can see below, it reads 'Isa: with lots of love / from Priscilla / February 1977'.

I now wonder whether this dedication was actually written by Priscilla Tolkien. The only sample I have of her handwriting is a note reproduced in Lembas 49 (May 1991), p. 1, a scan of which I also appended to this message. There are a few notable similarities (such as the 'ts' on 'lots' and 'Hobbits' and the 'r' in 'from' and 'celebrations'), but I am not yet convinced. Would any of you care to weigh in with an opinion?

If the writer of this note does turn out to be Priscilla Tolkien, does anyone have any idea who Isa might be?

4454_566965f52d107.jpg 7014X5100 px

4454_5669660565680.jpg 7014X5100 px
10 Dec, 2015
2015-12-10 5:52:32 PM UTC
That does look ok to me (caveat - without having my other samples of her handwriting in front of me). No idea who Isa might be though!
8 Sep, 2020
2020-9-8 8:27:36 PM UTC
Dear all,

I just came across the booklet of the Tolkien exhibition that stood at the Ashmolean Museum in 1976, "Drawings by Tolkien" I bought from Oxfam website a couple of months ago. There was an autograph on it signed by someone call Priscilla. I didn't really payed attention at the time, but after looking deeper on old threads here, I just noticed that the writing of the message and the signature looks pretty close to the genuine signatures of Priscilla Tolkien I can see here.

Attached are the scans.

This seems really interesting as it is another signature on the same booklet posted on this thread, and the message is quiet the same. But my question is : who are Peter and Richard ???

When looking at that other examples, it seems the same writing (with some subtiles differences but consistent). The "c" of Priscilla seems really distinctive.

https://www.tolkienguide.com/modules/n ... ost_id=5594#forumpost5594
https://www.tolkienguide.com/modules/n ... ost_id=5503#forumpost5503
https://www.tolkienguide.com/modules/n ... &post_id=465#forumpost465

4888_5f57e85c2c7c6.jpg 2448X3264 px
8 Sep, 2020
2020-9-8 8:34:17 PM UTC

Emilien wrote:

Dear all,

I just came across the booklet of the Tolkien exhibition that stood at the Ashmolean Museum in 1976, "Drawings by Tolkien" I bought from Oxfam website a couple of months ago. There was an autograph on it signed by someone call Priscilla. I didn't really payed attention at the time, but after looking deeper on old threads here, I just noticed that the writing of the message and the signature looks pretty close to the genuine signatures of Priscilla Tolkien I can see here.

Attached are the scans.

This seems really interesting as it is another signature on the same booklet posted on this thread, and the message is quite the same. But my question is : who are Peter and Richard ???

When looking at that other examples, it seems the same writing (with some subtle differences but consistent). The "c" of Priscilla seems really distinctive.

The handwriting looks fine to me. I don't know who Peter and Richard are offhand, but it seems possible to me that "Auntie" could be used as an honorific for a female friend of your parents (ie the two are not actually related to Priscilla).
8 Sep, 2020
2020-9-8 8:40:54 PM UTC
Thanks for your opinion Urulókë !

This is really a very special week for me. After having came accross a 1st Silm signed by Christopher Tolkien on ebay last Friday (which seem totally genuine), I just realized that I was already owning a signature of Priscilla without being aware of it. Brother and Sister! Oh my...
8 Sep, 2020
2020-9-8 8:44:25 PM UTC
By the way, I ignored that "Auntie" could be used as an honorific for a female in english. The same exists in french for males, "Oncle" in french, but it is a bit pejorative.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us