Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

2008 HarperCollins UK Paperbacks

14 Dec, 2015
2015-12-14 6:29:53 PM UTC

I noticed this post on the Onering.net

http://newboards.theonering.net/forum ... collapsed;guest=160974966

My question is are these all the matching paperbacks from HarperCollins?

The paperbacks that fit this "set", I think are

The Silmarillion
The Children of Hurin
The Hobbit
The Fellowship of the Ring
The Two Towers
The Return of the King
Unfinished Tales
The Legend of Sigurd & Gudrun
Tales from the Perilous Realm (not in photo)
Letters from Father Christmas (not in photo)

Have I missed any matching paperbacks?

10_566f0b306844d.jpg 500X333 px
23 Dec, 2015 (edited)
2015-12-23 6:51:07 AM UTC
Yes, as far as I know those are all the matching Harper Collins editions in that style. I actually have that collection myself (or at least the Middle Earth related books).

The only one that I am finding impossible to get ahold of is Unfinished Tales. Since it has no illustrations it shares the same ISBN number as every Grafton-Harper Collins B-format paperback edition going back to 1992. I've looked everywhere online and contacted countless sellers but so far I've only been able to find the one with the Ulmo cover and the new edition with the gold mountain on black.

I've searched every second-hand book store in my city (Vancouver) and haven't been able to find it there either. It's still to recent, I suppose.

Harper Collins UK said to try to call them and order it directly, but the long distance / shipping cost for Canada makes it prohibitive.

I'd be very curious if any UK citizens would have any luck getting a copy if they were to try.
23 Dec, 2015
2015-12-23 5:07:44 PM UTC
Very Sorry, but I do not think you can find this item.

The only way to get this, is if the seller gives a photo of the cover of the book that they are selling, so try that on ebay?
23 Dec, 2015
2015-12-23 8:59:22 PM UTC

Trotter wrote:
Very Sorry, but I do not think you can find this item.

The only way to get this, is if the seller gives a photo of the cover of the book that they are selling, so try that on ebay?

It will pot luck finding a copy, I think. So many sellers of cheaper items just use stock photos that finding books like this is nigh-on impossible.
26 Dec, 2015
2015-12-26 8:53:01 AM UTC
Is this the one you are looking for?

https://www.bidbud.co.nz/1002472174
27 Dec, 2015
2015-12-27 11:22:18 PM UTC
That's it! Thanks, Stu. I just saw this now and the posting expired yesterday. Doesn't look like it was sold though so hopefully they'll want to repost. Then I'll just have to figure out the payment and shipment plan to ship it out from NZ.
28 Dec, 2015
2015-12-28 12:03:05 AM UTC

Ferder wrote:
That's it! Thanks, Stu. I just saw this now and the posting expired yesterday. Doesn't look like it was sold though so hopefully they'll want to repost. Then I'll just have to figure out the payment and shipment plan to ship it out from NZ.

If you need help getting it, I am in NZ (and have a TradeMe account) and can purchase it and forward on via the cheapest method. Just send me a PM.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us