Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

10 Jun, 2016
2016-6-10 2:19:52 PM UTC
I'm not sure judging one's intentions or personal ethics is a proper thing to do. But being judgmental is part of the human condition. So, feeling the need to explain my prices...I have researched ebay and Abe and priced my books slightly over what I found. For example, a decent number of the super deluxe CoH that I see on ebay are priced right around $1000 so at my price I have the ability to negotiate substantially. And this is the approach I took with all of my postings. For what it's worth, I had no idea that the signed CoH or the super deluxe were still available from the publisher. This will affect future postings of said items. And to touch on what trotter said, I wouldn't think someone was unethical or a cheat if they offered me $300 for the super deluxe CoH. Most people want a deal. The thing is I can say no or counter offer, which is also the luxury of the buyer.
10 Jun, 2016
2016-6-10 7:00:43 PM UTC
To be honest, and I haven't looked at all your listings Peeta, if you have a Best Offer option on all these listings then I don't really think there's an issue here. I see plenty of Buy-It-Now listings with Best Offer options --& I see this as an open invitation to offer well below the top Buy-It-Now price. But be aware that some buyers might not be experienced enough to view listings like this; and this makes some people here a little uncomfortable.

BH
10 Jun, 2016
2016-6-10 10:50:07 PM UTC

Peeta wrote:
I'm not sure judging one's intentions or personal ethics is a proper thing to do. But being judgmental is part of the human condition. So, feeling the need to explain my prices...I have researched ebay and Abe and priced my books slightly over what I found. For example, a decent number of the super deluxe CoH that I see on ebay are priced right around $1000 so at my price I have the ability to negotiate substantially. And this is the approach I took with all of my postings. For what it's worth, I had no idea that the signed CoH or the super deluxe were still available from the publisher. This will affect future postings of said items. And to touch on what trotter said, I wouldn't think someone was unethical or a cheat if they offered me $300 for the super deluxe CoH. Most people want a deal. The thing is I can say no or counter offer, which is also the luxury of the buyer.

I am heartened to hear your claim that you were not aware that the CoH is still available new, but I think we will all need to disagree on this issue. I judge the other sellers trying to make $1000+ for these books equally harshly, if it helps. Some are professional book dealers that surely DO know the book is still available new.

Anyway, I'll say no more! Good luck with your sales, and I hope you have success getting prices that are fair for seller and buyer.
11 Jun, 2016
2016-6-11 1:15:05 AM UTC
Thanks. And I definitely didn't mean to start anything. Everyone on this site has been helpful and kind to me for years and I truly appreciate it. Also, I have not been able to find this, but what is the Alan Lee signed CoH going for from Harper Collins?
11 Jun, 2016
2016-6-11 6:30:15 AM UTC
I posted it earlier in this thread.

HarperCollins

http://www.tolkien.co.uk/product/9780 ... e+Children+of+H%c3%barin+

USD $506
6 Jul, 2016
2016-7-6 2:58:37 PM UTC
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us