remy
10 hours 53 minutes ago

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 »

1990s HoMe Paperbacks
Not too shy to talk
Group:
Shirefolk
Does anyone have—and would be willing to post some pictures of—a complete set of the 1990s HoMe U.K. paperbacks with the John Howe art on the covers? Beginning in the 2000s they have sold editions with black bars on the covers, but the previous editions were much nicer—glossy, the art filled the cover, and Tolkien’s name was in gold foil.

I am thinking of collecting them. I have the complete set of Houghton Mifflin hardcovers, but, I really like the Howe covers, and, I think they might be great for loaners. They give an impression of greater accessibility than the staid hardcovers (let alone the omnibus editions!). And I imagine they would be easy to replace.

Does anyone have a sense of how easy it is to collect these? One problem about buying online is that they have the same ISBNs as the later, ‘black bars’ editions. Still, if I avoid sellers using stock images, it shouldn’t be too difficult, right?

Posted on: 2016/10/16 14:40

Re: 1990s HoMe Paperbacks
Not too shy to talk
Group:
Shirefolk
1990s:
Open in new window

2000s: (IIRC the back cover and spine are mainly black)
Open in new window

Posted on: 2016/10/16 14:46

Not too shy to talk
Group:
Shirefolk
Parenthetical question about the hardcover print-on-demand HoMe Index available on tolkien.co.uk. This was never before available in hardcover, in a regular print run, right? Does anyone have any of these PODs and could comment on their quality?

Posted on: 2016/10/16 14:54

Shirrif
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif
The POD Hardcover index is very good quality. I would recommend it.

Posted on: 2016/10/16 17:00

Quite a regular
Group:
Fellowship
I have thought about collecting the 2000s versions, as there are several other titles that match that series (including the Index - the only regular print run version I am aware of). What I have found impossible to find (at anything approaching a reasonable price) is the History of the Lord of the Rings boxed set (4 books) in that format (2002 rather than 1998). The print run must have been small. As you say, the ISBNs are identical, which is very annoying. I'm waiting to find the box set before I start collecting the rest, as it seems to be the most rare by far and I'm a bit of a completist. I don't typically collect paperbacks, so I'm hesitant to try too hard or spend much, but if anyone has a lead, let me know!

Posted on: 2016/10/16 19:37

(1) 2 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You can vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]