Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

9 Jan, 2017
2017-1-9 6:21:42 PM UTC
I'm very curious what the motif will be for the slipcase for the deluxe edition [uk publishers only.]
4 Feb, 2017
2017-2-4 2:36:35 AM UTC

scarlet_sorcerer wrote:
I'm very curious what the motif will be for the slipcase for the deluxe edition [uk publishers only.]

Yeah me too. IMO the best motifs have been for LOTR, The Hobbit and Talea From the Perilous Realm. The first two have a nice cut out on the slipcase through which the inner motif can be seen, while the third was just a beautiful amalgamation of individual motifs representing the individual "tales". Besides the fact they have beautiful colours and texture, and aren't just plain ol' gold stamping.

I feel like the rest are rather lazy in design and execution.
4 Jun, 2017 (edited)
2017-6-4 2:04:57 AM UTC
Can anyone give us a snap of the “Works by J.R.R. Tolkien” page from this book?

Any snaps, for that matter…?

Thanks!
4 Jun, 2017
2017-6-4 5:28:55 AM UTC

Ulmo wrote:
Can anyone give us a snap of the “Works by J.R.R. Tolkien” page from this book?

Any snaps, for that matter…?

Thanks!

Have a look at this thread for pictures and for the "Works by J.R.R. Tolkien" the link to the Amazon Look Inside for the book.

https://www.tolkienguide.com/modules/n ... t_id=17370#forumpost17370
16 Jun, 2017
2017-6-16 10:03:02 AM UTC
I finally got my Beren and Luthien deluxe edition today and the copyright page looks very weird. The typed content begins almost halfway down the page. Is this how everyone else's book is?
16 Jun, 2017
2017-6-16 11:12:56 AM UTC
Yes mine is like that as well, this is because this is the first printing, no reprints are listed so it only takes up half the page and they align with the bottom of the page and not the top.
16 Jun, 2017
2017-6-16 2:20:08 PM UTC
I'm learning something new every other week :)

Trotter wrote:
Yes mine is like that as well, this is because this is the first printing, no reprints are listed so it only takes up half the page and they align with the bottom of the page and not the top.
16 Jun, 2017
2017-6-16 2:50:11 PM UTC
HC have't been "listing" reprints (e.g. in a 1977 Silmarillion way) for years and a line sequence (what they do use) doesn't take up any more room after each subsequent reprint --so not sure I follow what you're saying Trotter. Copyright page bottom justification of text is hardly a HC format preference, is it?

That said, the copyright material does indeed start half way down the page.

BH
16 Jun, 2017
2017-6-16 3:42:17 PM UTC
Ok, could be wrong on this, like a lot of times in the past :)

i.e. compare with the Deluxe Hobbit copyright page, which lists the editions and copyright from 1937?

These fill the whole page, so start at the top, but are aligned to the bottom of the copyright page.

Can anyone give any examples of any UK HC Deluxe editions that are not aligned to the bottom of the Copyright page?
16 Jun, 2017
2017-6-16 4:34:35 PM UTC
Well, they possibly are, but they're filled with so much other rubbish (as you point out) that the top text is at the top of the page anyway. From memory, do most of them not look like they take up full pages?

BH
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us