Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

By Ulmo
Home away from home

David Miller Slipcases

1 Nov, 2016
2016-11-1 5:37:55 PM UTC

Has anyone gotten custom slipcases from from tolkienbookshelf.com ? Any opinions? I mean as a standalone purchase (the book + slipcase offerings seem over-expensive). Or has anyone gotten custom slipcases from any other source?
1 Nov, 2016
2016-11-1 5:53:42 PM UTC
His leather slipcases are of excellent quality; similar in design but far superior in terms of execution to slipcases used by HarperCollins.
1 Nov, 2016
2016-11-1 6:00:26 PM UTC
Highly recommend
Good quality - reasonable cost for what you get
Ordered many over the years - always helpful
1 Nov, 2016 (edited)
2016-11-1 7:29:10 PM UTC
Worth pointing out that they aren't "collectable", so they don't add financial value to an ordinarily slipcased book that is missing the original slipcase. They are kind of like facsimile dust jackets in that regard. I'd still consider buying the odd one, but I do recognise a sales tool when I see one (and they seem to be used to justify some pretty out there prices on fairly ordinary books, IMHO).
1 Nov, 2016
2016-11-1 8:03:51 PM UTC
I agree with Stu in that they don't add intrinsic value. But, having had/seen the occasional one in the past (and connecting to another recent thread), having a full case for a book can protect it immeasurably, preserving fragile dyes in the dustjacket from UV light for example. That way the book is still on your shelf and not in a storage box out of the way, but it is still completely protected.
1 Nov, 2016
2016-11-1 8:23:51 PM UTC
Additionally David is very kind and helpful. A set of his HoMe cases I ordered were not an exact fit (one case was rotated and the measurements got switched). He generously made me another set even though I said I was happy to make do with the first set. That's above and beyond in my opinion. I agree that his cases are excellent protection for books that lack it.
1 Nov, 2016
2016-11-1 9:29:23 PM UTC
They're fantastic. So is DM; really helpful guy. Also, they do add value. Come on!, they look great...

BH

125_581908c40c916.jpg 2041X3065 px
1 Nov, 2016 (edited)
2016-11-1 10:03:41 PM UTC

Khamûl wrote:
They're fantastic. So is DM; really helpful guy. Also, they do add value. Come on!, they look great...

BH

Sorry, I really have to disagree. I don't believe they add *financial* value (I chose my wording very specifically). Most embellishments don't. I'm not saying they aren't nice (although I don't personally like the style of slipcase in your image), but a set of common books doesn't suddenly become valuable because you stick them in a nice slipcase (and I'm not arguing that David M. doesn't produce some very nice slipcases -- he does).
1 Nov, 2016
2016-11-1 10:39:04 PM UTC
I don't agree. At the very least it adds value to the value of the slipcase itself. They're not worth nothing. Take a book worth, say, £80-90 (not your example, a "common" book; that's a straw man argument, as you're always going to struggle to add value to ten-a-penny books); add a slipcase & it's going to sell for £100. 'Tis fact! Stu, it happens on eBay, so it must be true...

BH
1 Nov, 2016
2016-11-1 10:49:10 PM UTC
Might as well add my 2 cent opinion (and stir the pot).

Have to agree with Khamul. The Slipcase itself has to have some sort of value (at least to the cost of the slipcase itself).

And it does serve to protect the value of the book itself over time.

And pretties the book up a bit so we can admire it on the bookshelf.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us