Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

21 Nov, 2016
2016-11-21 11:23:44 AM UTC
Berelach, I have the same impressions as you and my set arrived on release day or shortly before that from what I remember so I suspect those are the earliest state.

Stu, I think the quality of these was good. A nice little set and is a pretty thing.

The odd thing about it is the content, a pocket book series with commentary, indexes, galleries, and bibliographies is overkill IMO and this suited being a slimmer story driven set. I think some thought and a little work could have produced a 'Treasury' that was a treasury rather than an expanded pocket deluxe 'Tales'.

The box is very well made, it is extremely solid for the size and the pictures are nice.
23 Nov, 2016
2016-11-23 3:53:08 AM UTC

Berelach wrote:
They're not too bad... I notice nothing like the reports from the deluxe Kullervo. The paper and jacket seem a bit more lightweight and I notice some other very minor cost-cutting changes. I wouldn't have noticed anything without having compared them side by side.

I guess that is what they count on when switching to a Chinese printer. Lowering the quality and cutting costs in a way that is unnoticeable unless you do a side-by-side comparison. The problem is that often the Chinese prints turn out to be much worse than the originals.

In this case they did ok. I own this set and don't have any issues with it (aside from the fact that I would have preferred regular-sized versions, but that's not their fault).
23 Nov, 2016
2016-11-23 4:44:27 AM UTC

Morinehtar wrote:

Berelach wrote:
They're not too bad... I notice nothing like the reports from the deluxe Kullervo. The paper and jacket seem a bit more lightweight and I notice some other very minor cost-cutting changes. I wouldn't have noticed anything without having compared them side by side.

I guess that is what they count on when switching to a Chinese printer. Lowering the quality and cutting costs in a way that is unnoticeable unless you do a side-by-side comparison. The problem is that often the Chinese prints turn out to be much worse than the originals.

In this case they did ok. I own this set and don't have any issues with it (aside from the fact that I would have preferred regular-sized versions, but that's not their fault).

One of my issues with the practice is that people will post reviews based on the first print and then others make buying decisions on that -- and end up getting a poorer product than they thought they would get. I guess a positive with the move to the first prints being Chinese is that when they turn out to rubbish (e.g. Kullervo), at least the reviews will generally be poor, so no one gets led astray by the bait and switch that HarperCollins has been indulging in thus far.

I didn't get a response to my (polite) email to HarperCollins describing the problems with Kullervo.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us