Tolkieniano
5 hours 33 minutes ago

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Silmarillion Price Stickers
Just can't stay away
Group:
Shirefolk
I'm sure someone here has taken notice of 1st Edition Silmarillion price stickers before (Khamûl, I"m looking at you), but I haven't really thought about it before. I've seen only two, both £5.95. In my picture, the one on the left is a 2nd impression and the one on the right is a 4th impression. However, my 5th impression has no sticker, just the printed price of £4.95. It could have been peeled off at some point but I see no evidence of that. I also have another 2nd impression with no sticker. Anyone seen anything different?

Attach file:

jpg  Silmarillion - 1st-2nd and 1st-4th.jpg (599.75 KB)
10_58b2e60cd5085.jpg 736X480 px

Posted on: 2/24 22:25:15

(edited)

Re: Silmarillion Price Stickers
Shirrif
From Scotland
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif
I've only ever seen examples of GA&U re-pricing 2nd & 4th impressions.

I don't have a re-priced 4th impression, but I understand some copies of (for example) The Silmarillion released in The Tolkien Library (1978) boxset were re-priced copies. The remaining copies I have seen have all been re-priced 2nd impressions; these were still in stock in the early 1990's when HC sold copies of the GA&U 2nd impression in HC John Howe jackets.

First increase was to £5.95. GA&U used various price stickers; some white; some cream; some with just "A&U"; some with (as you post) the full "GA&U". During the 1980's they made several price changes & I assume simply re-priced the 2nd impressions they had in stock. I have examples of £5.95 and £8.95; and later Unwin Hyman £11.95 and £13.99 price stickers.

I have a copy with the big blue sticker that you post. I believe I remember Trotter also posting an example of this sticker in use on a copy of TB. Not entirely clear of its precise use (he asked this question too) other than to cover the original price. Your copy has a price sticker, but its not clear if this is a publisher sticker or not. Could simple be a bookshop re-price under direction from the publisher.

You also have commonwealth copies (usually Clowes "export" copies) kicking around variously re-priced in $CAN and $AU. Interesting stuff...

BH

Posted on: 2/25 15:43:41

Shirrif
From Essex, England
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif
This was the thread about price stickers.

http://www.tolkienguide.com/modules/n ... ype=&topic_id=649&forum=9

I wonder if my copy of TB had two stickers, a blue one and white one, and the white sticker was peeled off by the original purchaser, that would explain why it is looks not to be priced.

Posted on: 2/26 0:34:28

Shirrif
From Scotland
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif
I just read through the previous thread and it appears my memory deceives me...

It's me who has the copy of TB with a blue sticker!

Seems like I don't even know what books I have. Dementia in the under 40's, is that a thing?

BH

Posted on: 2/26 3:06:22

(edited)

Shirrif
From Essex, England
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif
I have one as well, so your memory is not that bad

Posted on: 2/26 3:12:03