Tapuvae (Chris)
5 hours 29 minutes ago

Trotter
6 hours 14 minutes ago

Earl
6 hours 19 minutes ago

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 »

The Silmarillion: Uncorrected Proof, Salesman Dummy, or Methuen Bound?
Just popping in
Group:
Shirefolk
As my wife as allowed me to devote some of our leftover disposable income on Tolkien books, I am trying to add one single Silmarillion to add some more beef to my humble, but a growing collection.

If I am looking for the rarity with the ability to hold its value (or be able to see increase in its market value) in the long-term, what would be the choice between the Uncorrected Proof (Houghton M), Salesman Dummy, or Methuen bound copy? I understand that good condition Unc. Proof sold for around $250-280. Does it make sense if the Very Good condition one sells for $700-800? If so, I see that Methuen bound one has been selling for $600-700 while Salesman Dummy has been selling for $400-500. Would I be better off in the longterm if I were to choose Uncorrected Proof although i have to pay additional $100? I need help!

Posted on: 9/8 11:06:42

(edited)

Re: The Silmarillion: Uncorrected Proof, Salesman Dummy, or Melthuen Bound?
Home away from home
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Melthuen for me any day.
Better feel, better look overall looks and feels a quality copy.

Had a few Salesman ones over the years, they are in the main blank pages that's all. Why pay a lot for blank pages??!?!??!?!

HM proof- nah wouldn't bother. Now a UK proof might be interesting !

Good luck

Posted on: 9/8 12:28:40

Shirrif
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif
I'd agree with Laurel. I'd just add that no one can tell you what any of these books will be worth in the future. It is a very fickle and fairly small market. The majority of Tolkien books have been going slowly down in value for years, although there are individual editions and specific sales that might defy this. Buy the book you like, and don't treat it as an investment. Books are - for the most part - a terrible investment.

Posted on: 9/8 12:45:45

Home away from home
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Yeah good point - buy it because you like it. You should get one of these at the best price in years. Negotiate I would say

Posted on: 9/8 12:53:43

Just popping in
Group:
Shirefolk
Wow thank you do much for all the attentive answers! The problem is that I love all of them and even find the Uncorrected Proofs and Salesman Dummy copies elegant in their own ways!

Having collected Star Wars action figures and modern & contemporary artworks, I know that Proofs, prototypes, and artist proofs carry a substantial value relative to the regular edition ones. Assuming that all lines of Tolkien books are depreciating in value, wouldn't the Uncirculated Proofs carry the most value amongst the other two because its rarity and accounting for the fact that it is part of the earliest stage of the book production?

I am most inclined to get the Proof, but what I am concerned about is its pricing. I know that the other Proofs in "good" condition with library stamp, tapes, and other flaws were sold for
$280 as recent as weeks ago. The one I am trying to acquire is in a "very good" condition, but it is being sold for $750 or so. Is the price reasonable for a proof at this condition? Please help!

Posted on: 9/8 19:10:09

(1) 2 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You can vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]